Manual vs electric fillet knives Manual vs electric fillet knives Manual vs electric fillet knives Manual vs electric fillet knives
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Manual vs electric fillet knives

Avid perch fisherman here, families choice on the perch, but considering moving to an electric fillet knife. Is it worth my money or do I stick with my manual knives ?? I do all my own cleaning so what is everyone's opinion ?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Manual vs electric fillet knives

[QUOTE=Ole fisherman;80329]Avid perch fisherman here, families choice on the perch, but considering moving to an electric fillet knife. Is it worth my money or do I stick with my manual knives ?? I do all my own cleaning so what is everyone's opinion ?[/

Spend the dough and give it a try. I’ve gotten fast with good sharp knives but have been cleaning perch with electric lately. Make sure you use the correct size blade. I prefer electric knife over battery operated.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your thoughts....I am pretty good with my manual knives, but arthritis in the hands is make by it more difficult, thus the electric idea. What brand do you use/ recommend ?

Post Thanks / Like

I started using electric knives and it is so much easier than manual. On smaller fish you have to be careful and not cut thru the back bone, but you get better with practice. I first started using electric knives I had my wife pick up at yard sales. She would get them cheap and they work pretty good. I got a mister twister and it works pretty good but when the blades get dull you can buy another knife almost as cheap as buying the replacement blades. My dad bought me a Rapala electric knife and it came with two sets of blades and it works really well. The cord is way too long but the blades are sharp and it works really well cleaning walleye. I find the knives with the blades that come to a point work better than the ones with broad flat tips but both will work good, basically your own preference. Once you get used to using electric, you'll never go back to manual.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your input...been using manual blades for so long that it has become second nature....just a little gun shy about spending the money if I don't like it. Next big decision is which one ? How much of the reviews are actual and real ? Leaning toward a non battery unit, but...which one ?

Post Thanks / Like

I use an American Angler electric fillet knives. It has held up well. I think I have used it for 5-6 years and no issues yet. I probably clean around 200 walleyes a year or so. Just like stated previously you have to find a blade you like. I actually use the Mister Twister blades in mine. The reason I don't use the Mister Twister knives is the gears go out. I have ran a Bubba blade and I didn't like it.

Post Thanks / Like

We’ve used the mister twisters for 30+ years and the gears go out for sure. I bought a BPS lithium battery one a few years back, three sets of blades. We’ve cleaned 30-40 fish at a time and not had the battery even begin to slow down. Cuts right through 5lb walleye when we’ve got them. Less than $100 on sale and it’s been worth every penny.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the replys, keep them coming as I am not sure which to buy. Pros and cons on each one you have tried. Being mostly a perch cleaner, some come with 9 inch long blades which seem to long in my opinion for perch....so what works best ??

Post Thanks / Like

I have been cleaning walleye with electric knives for about ten years and am on my second Rapala. Gears went out on the first one after about six years. I think the 5+ pounders take a toll on the gears. Thought it was the blades at first, bought another set, no better. Plastic gears I assume. Got another Rapala. Said DELUXE. Hope it lasts longer. Makes cleaning fish really fast. Four passes and a couple rib scoop cuts in between and you're done. Best thing I do is bleed them out when caught. Meat is white, not pink. Tastes better too. Never used it on perch, drop them off.
    Always looking for better products for the next one

Post Thanks / Like

they are costly but the Bubba knife in either lithium battery or corded is my choice for electric knives. the battery knife seems to stay at full power after cleaning 12 fish in the 3# to 4# class and cuts through them without any problems. I can't really speak from personal experience on the corded knife but from here say.