Monroe/Sterling Park Monroe/Sterling Park Monroe/Sterling Park Monroe/Sterling Park
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Monroe/Sterling Park

Looking for any advice on the Monroe/Sterling Park area. Fished it this spring (April) when the NNW winds picked up and did well. Concentrated on 14-18' of water at that time. Just wondering if that bite also exists now? Headed that way, staying in Port Clinton, next week and hoping to fish even if we get some NNW/NNE winds. No problem trailering around to the Sterling Park launch if needed. Assuming we would target a bit deeper water this time of year? cranks/harnesses any thoughts are welcome.

Thanks much and good fishing

Reside in Columbus, OH. Have place in Perrysburg, OH.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Monroe/Sterling Park

Absolutely no reason to go all the way to the west end of the Lake in Michigan if you are staying in Port Clinton. Plenty of good to great walleye fishing right there near PC in May. Once you arrive, just check the locals and here. If you trailer it anywhere, it would be east to Huron, but that's not necessary either. The whole area from west of the Bass Islands to the east side of Kelleys will provide you plenty of oppoutunity. You'll probably spend a good amount of time in the South Passage, or never more than 4-5 miles from shore or one of the Islands. Next week should be great as long as the weather cooperates.

Post Thanks / Like

West Basin,
    Sorry should have been a bit more specific. Yes, we fully intend on fishing the PC/Huron area. I would only venture to the Monroe area should a heavy NW or NE wind prevents us from fishing the PC area. We did that very thing this April on 2 "blow days." Was just wondering it is worth our travel to do the same should we get a blow day that prevents us from fishing the PC area? Fishing is fishing, just trying to maximize our opportunities on our trip out and eliminate some wasted time searching.

Thanks again...

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, they are still catching fish in Michigan waters. Sterling State Park or Bolles Harbor.

Reside in Columbus, OH. Have place in Perrysburg, OH.
    Post Thanks / Like

If you have a strong west / northwest wind, and you are willing to trailer to Michigan's Sterling Park, there is good walleye fishing there too, pretty much year round. In May the fish should still be in fairly close to shore, so you can get to them with those winds. Just like over at Port Clinton, they have to go out farther as the season progresses. As usual, ask the locals for timely info on where. You may also consider the lower Detroit River. It is a great walleye fishery, but a different kind of fishing (lots of current).

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all, great to know it remains an option should the winds not cooperate.

Post Thanks / Like

If the weather holds, I'll be there staying in PC and fishing Saturday through Tuesday, leaving Wednesday. Depending on water clarity I'll launch at either Catawba or Mazurik's.

Am happy to share fishing info back and forth via text if you wish.

Could anyone confirm that the fish cleaning station is open and operational at Mazurik's...please and thank you.

Post Thanks / Like

Weather is looking pretty good for the weekend. Very light winds however they will be out of the NE Saturday and Sunday. I’ll be up Friday till Monday. You can add me to your text list 724-971-7289. I’m happy to share if I have any info. Probably starting Friday evening, but that most likely won’t help you much as the night bite is usually way different. But I will be back out early Saturday. Don’t know about fish cleaning. I do my own, and don’t really even look at them when I go by.

Post Thanks / Like

Oops! Sorry I miss read your post. I don’t launch over there, and forgot about the cleaning station. Someone a while ago said it was open, but don’t know first hand

Post Thanks / Like

No apology necessary Billy Boy, thanks for responding. I'd be happy to share info back and forth on colors, active fish depth and speeds, etc. even if we aren't fishing in the same area. I have always cleaned my fish at the hotels but want to try the cleaning station. Should be so much easier and quicker to discard the carcasses. I'll text ya.