Fishing with Nancy, Glen Sr., and Glen Jr....4/30/2024 Fishing with Nancy, Glen Sr., and Glen Jr....4/30/2024 Fishing with Nancy, Glen Sr., and Glen Jr....4/30/2024 Fishing with Nancy, Glen Sr., and Glen Jr....4/30/2024
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Fishing with Nancy, Glen Sr., and Glen Jr....4/30/2024

Quick report today…had a later launch, and there’s lots to do before bedtime.😬
    First time back on the water since a week ago, today.

Launched out of Catawba with my crew from Huron, OH, and headed west to the other side, and landed in 14-18’ of water.
    The water was dirty to the south, mixing where we were (could see the cavitation plate and the prop was “ghostly”), and there was cleaner water to the north.

We didn’t catch any big fish this morning, but what we did catch were all good-sized eaters.

I was slacking on my photos today…sorry. This is the only one.

It was raining when we launched at 7am, so no sunrise pic, but by mid-morning the Sun was breaking through, from time to time, so that dried things out, and warmed the air up, nicely.

We ran crawlers on the starboard side and Bandits on the port side. The catch rate was 50/50 between the two, so I never broke down one side to run the other…I probably should have, but I couldn’t decide which to take off. So I left them.

We ended up with 16 for 18 on the walleye…and, we caught the first sheephead (in my boat)
    of the season, and two white perch.

Speed was anywhere from 1.5 to 2.0mph.
    Water temp varied from 55.6 to 57.3 degrees.

The mud is cleaning up fast, and shifting locations by the hour.

The Shortman family did a great job learning to run the OffShore boards, and setting them out. They currently run big boards on their boat, but wanted to see how to run inline boards, and I am confident they would be able to do this easily, by themselves.

We ran 2oz inline chain sinkers on the harnesses at 20, 30, 33, and 35 back …and, the Bandits ran at 55, 45, 40, and 35 back.

Tomorrow, and Wednesday, I have two fellas from Iowa, so I’m meeting them at Mazurik’s, and launching at 6:15, so hopefully there will be a sunrise pic in the morning.

Stay tuned….

Capt Juls
    Attached Images Attached Images Fishing with Nancy, Glen Sr., and Glen Jr....4/30/2024-nancy-glen-glen-4_30_20241-jpg 
    Captain Julia "Juls" Davis
    [email protected]
    www.julswalleyefishingadventures.com
    https://www.facebook.com/JulsWFA?ref=br_rs
    Specializing in 1-3 person walleye and perch charters

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Fishing with Nancy, Glen Sr., and Glen Jr....4/30/2024

Thanks for the report Jul. The water to the west is warming up fast and the harnesses are starting to catch. Were you using willow or Colorado blades and what was best color for you? Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

I’m surprised to hear that you ran harnesses and Bandits at the same speed and they both caught fish. I have done that with worm-burners and Bandits or Bandits and spoons. But I have always had better luck with harnesses at 1.2 - 1.4 and Bandits at 1.6 - 2.0 as the water warms above 50. I guess you can something everyday.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the report Juls! It was great to meet you in person at the Catawba launch yesterday morning. I must say, when you showed me 2 crawler harnesses and asked me which one I would use I was sort of at a loss for words. I was like, why would this experienced Captain be asking my opinion on that? All I can say is it says more about you and your unassuming and humble nature, which really blessed me! I hope my suggestion worked out, but I certainly don't feel like I have the mind of the walleye figured out yet, and probably when I think I have it figured out they will throw me a curve. BTW, I love your boat and set-up. Have a great one!

Post Thanks / Like

We routinely run harnesses and cranks at 2.5mph during the summer. But we are using double willow blades. I have heard of guys running the willows up to 3.5mph too. But the Colorado blades top out around 2mph before they don't spin properly. Since Juls was running 1.5-2.0mph, my guess was she was running Colorado blades.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn M View Post
    I hope my suggestion worked out..

It was nice to meet you too! And, yes, your pick was a good one. Well done...
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by itsbob View Post
    We routinely run harnesses and cranks at 2.5mph during the summer. But we are using double willow blades. I have heard of guys running the willows up to 3.5mph too. But the Colorado blades top out around 2mph before they don't spin properly. Since Juls was running 1.5-2.0mph, my guess was she was running Colorado blades.
    Correct...colorados this time. I have double willows, but wasn't planning on going fast.

I have run Colorados easily at 1.7-1.8-1.9mph, caught fish running bandits at that speed too, so why not do both? I wanted the fish to tell me which they liked better, but they liked both...lol
    [email protected]