We use a whole worm.But want it running as straight as possible so hook thick part of worm as close to tip as possible and hook once through back hook trying to keep length of worm and line the same.I tie all my harnesses,so I use 20# Seaguar fluorocarbon line and tie a #1 gamagatsu single hook in front and a treble 3" away in rear.Use two quick change clevis and tie the whole rig 6.5ft long with a loop in front and place a swivel on loop.That swivel goes to our #2 tadpole.Have had good luck catching our biggest fish on the harness running at 60 off our inline boards using a purple willow blade with a pink back.Caught the biggest last Saturday too.Funny story from last trip..... John had to take a break from driving to take a leak and when he came back to pee,had a fish on.So told John to reel it in.Got that fish almost to net and it came off.Couple hours later same thing happened when had to take break and lost another one.The only two all day and lost them both.Finally again got a big one on and John's reeling in and I'm talking smack about him losing last 2 fish while he's reeling in.We net that fish and it's our biggest of day too.