Quote Originally Posted by DW72 View Post
It sure can't! I'll post what I do when I get out there. I'm still learning and appreciate what is posted here to help. It's about 5 hours away for me and I do a few 3 day trips per season. I get my fish but it takes quite a while sometimes. I think I need to better on quicker turns to get back on biting fish.and going all in with more rods once a lead is established that is working. I'm improving on bandit colors based on water clarity and cloud coverage. I haven't been very good at high fish in deeper water...like 25-30 fow. I assume they are schools of eyes between 6 and 12 feet down because they are big marks?? I may not be high enough. How high above the fish have you all had luck pulling the cranks? 1-3 feet or more? I've never caught crap above 12 feet down from the surface unless I was in shallower around H Can. I usually seem to de best between F and Green Island. Leads 55-100 feet back with bandits unassisted. Thank you for the feedback if someone doesn't mind!
While it is true that trolling in a particular direction catches better than other directions,we rarely pick up our gear and drive back to start again.We will more often make quicker turns if we need to troll a particular direction to catch better.The few times we picked up our gear was due to rough wave conditions.When the waves reach 3-4 ft trolling, downwind is much easier than into the wind or even crosswind.That is when we sometimes pick up our gear.
When it comes to targeting shallow fish, those shallow fish most often do not show up on your sonar.The reasons are, is that sonar cone is small the closer to the boat you scan.Another reason is the shallow fish move away from the boat as you move over them.Walleye do prefer to catch their food from below.They supposedly can target a lure from a couple feet up to 10ft above them, depending on the water clarity.Seams the few times we have caught shallow fish the conditions were calm and there was not much boat traffic around.We don't often run lures in the top 10ft of the water column.When we do is because my charter buddies will tip me off about that shallow bite if I'm fishing near them.Or if nothing else is catching and it's our last resort.When running our inline boards you have to run the longest leads on the outside.So if going to run shallow lures on your boards those are closest to the boat and most likely spooked by the boat.When we have tried to run some shallow cranks will just try on one side.So the outside board would be a 60 lead,the middle board at 40 and on inside board would be 20ft then a 2oz sinker then 20-40 more.That inside sinker will be running below those two outside boards when bringing them in.And if those shallow lures don't catch within 20-30 min,they are changed out to run deeper.We will also run those boards a little further from the boat.But it is really cool when you can catch them really shallow.Either trolling or casting.