May 2nd weekend May 2nd weekend May 2nd weekend May 2nd weekend
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: May 2nd weekend

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fishing in East and North winds...

When you catch your trophies in the North winds, are you drifting (jigging or draggin harnesses) or are you trolling reef runners? Do you fish off the reefs in deeper water? I'm coming up Sat/Sun from Cincy area too and not sure if I should troll with harnesses and runners out deeper (north of the reefs) or try jigging in shallower where the water is warmer (and probably muddier). Any advice before I make the long trip up there?

Post Thanks / Like

The big fish I land this time of year are primarily drifting. I tie my own harness. Cabelas has a sweet set up I love. I buy their 3 hook rigs, red hooks, red line (invisable at more than 10 feet deep) and I use the description in the earlier post. 5 green beads, silver blade with emerald fleck. I like a long lead to the swivel. 5 to 6 feet lead. I want my 4 oz lead bumping the bottom every once in a while. You will likely just see dead weight on the line. Go light on the drag. The big fish with tear the little hooks out. The trophies are usually resting in deep water, 30 plus fow, North of the reefs and spawning grounds. It is their natural migration route. You won't catch as many, but they are rewarding.

Yes- trolling is effective this time of year. The key is to go slow!!!!! 1.2-1.6 mph. The surface is warming, but the deep water is cold and that's where the fish are. When the deep water under the thermocline reaches the surface temerature, the lake will "turn over" and kill the bite for a day or 2. Usually the first week of June. I would troll worm harness from down rigger or torpedo diver, small scorpion stinger size spoons, flatline reef runners or husky jerks. I would put the boat in nuetral when I saw fish under the boat, pause for about 10 seconds and pop it back into gear. Alot of fish hit when you take off.

I have never had luck trophy fishing with jigs. Some do. Most of it is through the ice. The females eat heavy in Feb and March getting ready for the spawn. I don't think they forage much when getting ready to spawn but will instinctively eat when the bait hits their nose. That is what makes the railroad brige so good during the spawn migration. All or the fish funnel through a small opening. If it's there, they eat it. The trophies I am talking about will be spawned out, exhausted females that have rested after the spawn and need to start eating again. We have netted them burping up 8 and 10 inch white and yellow perch.

Keep me posted men. I will travel with my laptop and check postings. I wish you safe fishing and shoulder dislocating heavy coolers.

wmyer- Brand's is open to about 7 pm. If you ask them how it was, they always give an honest accurate report.

Good luck
    Last edited by spoontang; 04-29-2009 at 12:32 PM.

Cubsfan53 Guest

Default Marblehead Charters

Any recommendations on good walleye charter captains in the Marblehead area? Hope to come up next week or so.

Post Thanks / Like

Check with walidave. He is a member on here and does well. LakeLand charters are Port Clinton based and they use the my marina to drop fish etc. and they do a nice job. I see their fish. They have an add on the home page here.

Post Thanks / Like

Default spoons

Ive got a question. Who has a good selection of stingers in port clinton area, reasonably priced ? Seems like everywhere igo has a bunch of picked thru stuff and all the hot colors are gone.Coming up second weekend of May if weather looks good. Just on saturday though, momma's day is on sunday no chance of fishing on that day without landing divorce court. Looking forward to a good season, was excellent last year.Good luck to all,
    Agent "H"

Post Thanks / Like

Fisherman's Wharf downtown just across from Subway subs. It is on the river near where the Jet Express used to be. Great selection and they used to run a special of buy 3 and get 1 free or something like that. The special was usually already put together as 4. They also have a great worm harness blade selection, provide good information, and have bait and ice. Sounds like a commercial. It's a good shop.

Post Thanks / Like

CubsFan53 we go out of Port Clinton on a boat called the Osprey. The captains name is "Buffalo". We always do well with him. www.lake-eriecharters.com
    We're going out with him this weekend I'll let you know how we do.

Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Thanks

Hey Spoontang thanks for the referral, appreciate it. Great to get that from someone who has never met me let alone fished with me. Could you tell the fish gods to stop blown that nne wind we will let the big ones go i promise !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Walidave, following the weather from cinci it looks like the wind turns ssw tomorrow and west on Sat. do you think that will make for good fishing on Sat or will it take a couple of more days.

Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default weather

well i would say that the water should be much better by then, i didnt fish today but talked to some friends that did and they caught fish on outer reefs. Water up close was a disaster, has been great right out front of my marina. But this is the way spring goes fish dont leave they just dont seem to feed much in zero visibility. I am sure your charter is gonna take you the best place he can find. Sunday when everyone was staying in close up front we only got 7 moved out to outer reefs by ourselves got 15 or so real quick. Guys were hooked, they were sceptical to say the least when i left the boats and stopped with no one around trust your guide!!!!