Quote Originally Posted by Snaggin Wagon View Post
Bought a new Lund 1775 last year. First time using it on Erie was yesterday. Have a minnkota Terrova. 120 Lb thrust 24 volt. Using group 27 interstate deep cycle batteries. Lasted about 3 to 4 hours trolling. Are the lithium ion batteries worth the investment? A pair of group 31’s will fit? Any thoughts?
I have a 20 foot Lund Fisherman with a 24V/80# thrust Ultrex on it., two size 29 Marine batteries from Walmart. I had a 24v/80 Terrova for the past 10 years. Always trolling downwind, I could troll up to 1.5 mph for about 6-7 hours, no problem, especially if there was a little tail-wind. On a dead-calm day, I will lift the big motor all the way up to reduce the drag. That helps a ton. I can get 1.4-1.5 mph at a 4 or 4.5 speed setting. I try to never keep it above a 5 setting very long, or I will burn it up pretty fast. If there's a decent tail-wind, I leave the big motor down as it helps as a rudder and keeps the boat straight. If I need to go faster, I fire up the kicker and still use the TM for minor speed adjustments and steering. I also like to hit the "rabbit" button here and there to trigger bites. Works great.

On days when I know I am going to be trolling all day and I may be pushing the limit of my batteries, I will bring along two of those portable "jump-starters". I can get another couple hours of trolling in by using those to add some life to batteries that are almost dead.