JerryA,
Same here, let the 9.9 hp push my 1875 Lund Tyee, steer with my Minnkota Ulterra. Erie guide Juls mentioned to keep running speed on Ulterra not over 3.0 mph…lasted me 10 hours, lots more than needed for my day of Erie trolling. Trolling motor Ulterra, 36 volt (3) battery 27’s.

Quote Originally Posted by JERRYA View Post
All good info here. For comparison sake: I have a 1880 Ranger Angler with a Ulterra 24V 80 Lb thrust group 27 batteries. Started out trolling with just the TM - couldn't reliably get all day out of the batteries even running with the wind. If you are planning to mostly troll the best solution is to bite the bullet and get a kicker motor. I got a kicker and now use it to push the boat and the TM to steer. We can easily go all day running the TM at 2-4. With the iPILOT it is very easy to continually adjust direction - this is really nice when the lake gets crowded with boats. I first considered going with bigger batteries but felt that would just add a little more time and not be reliable for all day. And as the trolling gets faster 2.0-2.5 and you try to run that TM over 5 it's just not going to last. Your batteries are only a year old - no need to replace them - better off spending the money on a kicker IMHO.