Quote Originally Posted by Bamatroller View Post
I was referring to what you said about hooking a clip directly to the ball and running a crankbait from that clip I was wondering you’d had problems with rigging it that way. Maybe I misread or misunderstood what you were saying.

The OP was asking about running a crank close to the bottom off a rigger. It's just easier to keep your crank from plowing bottom if you use a stacker release and a trolling app. Your cannon ball becomes your lower limit. Example, take a crank that at 20' back runs 8' down @ 2.3 mph w/10# test. Place your stacker 10' above the ball, that way you can run your ball much closer to the bottom and have a known distance above the bottom for your crank. If the ball touches bottom, bring it up a hair, keep your crank running clean.. I didn't have a trolling app back when I used to run riggers a lot. It was trail and error. I don't even put my riggers on my boat anymore unless I go east to fish and that doesn't happen much. This is something to try on a slow bite day when they are sulking on the bottom. It's not part of my regular program.