Trolling vs. drifting - why? Trolling vs. drifting - why? Trolling vs. drifting - why? Trolling vs. drifting - why?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Trolling vs. drifting - why?

I think it's simple, people catch more fish constantly. There is something to be said about the feel of the fish striking the lure though.
    Let's look at the costs. You need poles either way, so no difference there. In line boards can be very expensive, but it's basically a one time cost. Lures: now here is where you can spend some money. You don't have to, but it's a slippery slope. I don't have a ton of lures, but I do have a few. The thing is a guy doesn't need a ton of them. There are about ten different ones that I use to catch all the walleyes I get and like most I get quite a few. So you already have a boat, so money isn't an issue. If people spend just a little more, they can catch fish like the pros, or they can go around looking for fish, wishing they were catching them.
    Duckwater boat owner, I fish for fun.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Trolling vs. drifting - why?

Great question. My buddy and I have Have been coming over to Erie for many we years. Here lately we troll most of the time. When we first started out we would drift. We end up eventually shifting to trolling. I like trolling a lot and we catch our share of fish but, I really like drifting. I posed this exact same question as in the original post to my partner a while back and now our first trip will start with drifting. As what was said in the original post you just have to stay out a little longer to catch you fish. I feel when you are trolling the fish catches you, when drifting you feel the fish and you catch the fish. A way better feeling!