A little more input to this topic. This info comes from both research and what the pro walleye fisherfolks are now saying. I got some of this info from the seminars at last weekend's Columbus Fishing Expo.

Color is not as important as people think. It was, on one pros and a fish behavior researcher's list, the last one of five factors involved in both how to catch walleye and how predator fish find prey. Fish don't see color like we do. Color pattern, or light and dark contrasts, are often more important than the colors themselves. Such as a striped or blotched pattern. So on a day where you have say an orange and chrome or white crank bait / stick bait catching more walleye, it may not be the colors but the pattern of the colors that is attracting the fish. If the bait is painted with stripes, then try other baits with stripes, not just the came colors.

We are finding out so much more about the science of fish, and here walleye on Lake Erie, every year. There is a huge amount of data being collected from all kinds of sources. I plan to start putting some of this data, and how to make sense of it, on my Lake Erie web site starting this spring. Right now there is no place to get this information all in one place.

As far as where the fish go after a big wind event ("big blow"), I'll be looking into that this season with my underwater camera project. I hope to have some real answers starting mid-summer and certainly by the end of the 2022 season.

West