I think lots of people, maybe most, troll with braided line. Someone made a good point about knots, but the Palomar knot is good. And easy to tie it to a snap or a snap swivel. I do not buy the expensive PowerPro for trolling (I do buy it for my spinning reels for casting). Amazon and even Cabelas sell some less expensive but still very good braided line. We seem to catch a lot of walleye. We don't have very many get off. We don't have to baby the line and don't change it nearly as often as we probably should, changing it only every few years (or longer.....), but it does not break off on us. We use 30 lb. If you are trolling crank baits, you may want to use a fluorocarbon leader. Or don't.... We usually pull worm harnesses and we just clip them to our snap swivel. Obviously for dipseys a mono or fluorocarbon leader is used behind the dipsey.

Biggest problem we have had is it slipping of the snap weights that snap onto line, and slipping when we use inline planer boards. But recently we switched from snap weights to just using an inline sinker we can clip on with a 3 foot or so mono leader behind it going to a snap swivel. That is easier and it does not seem to bother the fish at all. And no worry about slipping. If the walleye are biting at all, they are not hard to catch off Cleveland.