Fishing with the Morris Crew...Jeff, Jeffery, and Christian 8/23/2021 Fishing with the Morris Crew...Jeff, Jeffery, and Christian 8/23/2021 Fishing with the Morris Crew...Jeff, Jeffery, and Christian 8/23/2021 Fishing with the Morris Crew...Jeff, Jeffery, and Christian 8/23/2021
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Fishing with the Morris Crew...Jeff, Jeffery, and Christian 8/23/2021

I use 17-20 # mono for the leader because it has some stretch in case a salmon or steely hits it. You can get away with fluoro also but beware the salmonids.
    Rickerd

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Fishing with the Morris Crew...Jeff, Jeffery, and Christian 8/23/2021

the luhr jenson snubbers will wear out after a couple years...amish outfitters makes 8" ones...i have used them for a few years now and they are still good...one good thing though is when they wear out the swivles and snaps are heavy duty and are good for muskie fishing
    Last edited by fisherman 2; 08-27-2021 at 07:52 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Apparently I have a deep misunderstanding of the fishing related gear business.

Today I managed to buy 5 Snubbers from Bass Pro in Rossford, OH.

I thought I could just buy some online but my initial search came up empty, and I found out that Bass Pro had a number of them in stock.
    So today I stopped by Bass Pro in Rossford, OH and went to the marine equipment area where they sell boat seats, boat hardware along with downrigger supplies and Dipsey Divers.
    A store guy was stocking in the same aisle so I asked him where the snubbers were that were shown as being in stock online.
    He said they should be right in front of me. Nope. He explained that the management was rearranging the store and many things could not be found.

I thought: Perhaps they moved them to the fishing section? (where the Dipsey divers and downriggers should be, not next to the gas tanks)
    Their fishing lure section is ridiculously big. As I entered the fishing area a women asked me if she could help me. I told her I was looking for snubbers made by Luhr Jenson and used behind Dipsey Divers. She replied: Oh, they should be in the marine equipment area. I told her they were not there. She was puzzled and suggested that they might be sold out.
    Regardless, I started looking around in the fishing area. Sure enough, next to the wire leaders were the Luhr Jenson Snubbbers. They had 10 of the 12" units at $3.99 each.
    I bought 5 of them. Half of their stock!

What is going on!?!?
    There must be no more than 50 cents of material in these Snubbers and obviously Dipsey Divers are very popular on Lake Erie.
    Bass Pro has huge amounts of money in fishing gear only has 10 Snubbers in stock? I bought half of their stock!!

This seems insane. What am I missing!

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

The color of the dipsey is not that important.I would not attempt to paint a dipsey.Would be afraid the paint would affect the mechanism parts of the dipsey.You can use the mono for leader too.No problem using mono.Some guys actually prefer it.

Post Thanks / Like

The Precision Trolling Data App has the info for the Lure Jensen Size 1 Dipsies for 0,1,2, and 3 settings.

Pretty sure that other diver you're using is not listed.

I would not paint them either.

I use 20# mono (Sunline Supernatural in green....line diameter of .018) It's the same line I use on my trolling rods.

I use 30# power pro on my dipsey reels....I also use a snubber with my leaders.
    Captain Julia "Juls" Davis
    [email protected]
    www.julswalleyefishingadventures.com
    https://www.facebook.com/JulsWFA?ref=br_rs
    Specializing in 1-3 person walleye and perch charters

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info everyone.

So I didn't know that snubbers existed except for dock lines. So I did some googling and reading.

Juls, do you use the snubbers made by Luhr Jensen? I read on some other old posts that some "make their own" but no details were given??

I guess the idea is that the snubber allows the fish to take the bait and not have it yanked out of their mouths so quickly so the hook can set?

So you use Mono on your trolling rods when you are dragging diving lures. But you use braid on your dipsy rods?
    Since I don't have that many rods, I was going to use braid on all of them and use them to pull dipsy's and diving lures.

Does that sound like a bad idea? I know the braid has very little stretch while the mono is quite stretchy.

If I use all braid with diving lures (no dispy), am I going to lose a lot of fish?

Thanks! Dave

Post Thanks / Like

I bought 2 dipsy divers at central basin bait and tackle in vermilion yesterday

Post Thanks / Like

Feel most retail stores can't get qualified help. The help they do get wants to be on cell phone most of the time. Too easy to blame limited stock on covid, easier to have online merchandise only and cut down on overhead. Just a thought!

Post Thanks / Like

Ohio currently allows 3 lines per person.It really doesn't matter if 8 or 12" snubbers.Just want them all to be identical except maybe color.I have different color snubbers so I can keep track of what setting and what side of boat a particular dipsey is running.

Post Thanks / Like

itsbob:

Ok, Thanks. I'll see what I can find in snubbers.

Juls:
    12 lines! I'm not seeing much "simple" in that! I thought that 9 lines would be overwhelming.

Thanks everyone for the advice!

Dave