Great input on this Thread! Thanks everyone! Have been running #1's for around 25 Years and there is a ton great info here, so thought I would add some other info for everyone's consideration;
Definitely using the clicker for me and thumbing the spool, especially when setting the outside Dipsey over the inside one's. Setting out to fast will "wrap" the line around the release, which is not fun to retrieve later on, or entangle another Dipsey. Release tension: I carry a small stubby screw driver in my pocket to change release tension, I set them based on the days conditions. Try to have them as loose as possible, without tripping with nothing there, or to hard to release when you wrist snap to break the release. Use only one wrist snap, or rod pull to release the Dipsey, maybe two? Be super careful letting out a Dipsey while turning, watch the line and stay out of another Dipsey's path. If you have your "#1" Dipseys dialed in and catching, use the Dive curve chart, Trolling Bible or App to set the other setting Dipseys quickly to the fish zone, although alot of times active fish will be at different depths. The reverse is true also, set your Dipsys via the dive curve chart for the depth of the fish. Tangles happen: If two Dipseys get tangled, get both rods out of the water ASAP, not good to leave them twirling around, bad things will happen, time is of the essence!! Super Snarls and Cluster Flucks: A bad tangle, If you have spent more than 5 minutes trying to untangle, save the time and aggravation and get out your knife and retie, life is short! Although sometimes I like the challenge... So writing all of this (very fresh in my mind), I had my worst cluster in 4 years on Thursday, tired and sore (surgery complication) set out the 3.5 on a starboard turn, too quick on the port side, did not notice it right away, it tangled in the 1.5. Other crew were busy, captain was busy, so had to get the tangled rods/Dipseys out by myself, which took to long. Did not wait the 5 minutes once they were in, out came my knife. Best of all, my fishing "friends" were kind enough to save the cut cluster/snarl and display it at beer thirty back at camp for all to behold.