Dipsy Diver setting's Dipsy Diver setting's Dipsy Diver setting's Dipsy Diver setting's
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Dipsy Diver setting's

Quote Originally Posted by badboards View Post
    So if the trip on the out side swings back in how does it not tangle with your inside pole
    I do not set the first rod out as far so when the outside rod trips it will travel back beyond the distance of the first rod to the rear.

Post Thanks / Like

That's a lot to take in. I'm going to be reading this over and over for days to fully understand it and I mean that in a good way. I had tangled line, twisting line pretty much all of the above. Fishing shouldn't be that hard. should do a instructional video Bob it would help a lot of people out. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

That's a lot to take in. I'm going to be reading this over and over for days to fully understand it and I mean that in a good way. I had tangled line, twisting line pretty much all of the above. Fishing shouldn't be that hard. should do a instructional video Bob it would help a lot of people out. Thanks

The best thing I have found to reduce tangles when running multiple dipseys on each side is to let them out by loosening the drag and not just using the clicker. We loosen the drag just enough so that they go out very slowly. This keeps them pulling so they stay away from each other and stops them from spinning, etc. If we need to bring in a dipsey for some reason, we will point the rod at the dipsey and pull straight back, which will easily trip the diver. It will then rise quickly and fall back to the middle. We run the forward most rods on a 3 setting, with more line out. The next rod back is on a 1 setting with less line out. Then on the corners we have our down-riggers. If you let them out with the drag, you should not have tangles.
    Last edited by slimshady; 07-28-2021 at 08:19 AM.
    https://slimshadycustoms.com/ Slimshady Customs - Custom Painted Crankbaits & Blanks. (Bandit Style Deep-Divers and other various crankbaits)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by slimshady View Post
    The best thing I have found to reduce tangles when running multiple dipseys on each side is to let them out by loosening the drag and not just using the clicker. We loosen the drag just enough so that they go out very slowly. This keeps them pulling so they stay away from each other and stops them from spinning, etc. If we need to bring in a dipsey for some reason, we will point the rod at the dipsey and pull straight back, which will easily trip the diver. It will then rise quickly and fall back to the middle. We run the forward most rods on a 3 setting, with more line out. The next rod back is on a 1 setting with less line out. Then on the corners we have our down-riggers. If you let them out with the drag, you should not have tangles.
    One more thing: When setting lines, we put out the forward rod first and put it in a rod-holder, with the drag just loose enough so that it goes out slowly. As soon as the first one is starting to go out, we start on the second one. We will have 4-6 rods all going out at once.
    https://slimshadycustoms.com/ Slimshady Customs - Custom Painted Crankbaits & Blanks. (Bandit Style Deep-Divers and other various crankbaits)

Post Thanks / Like

Try this video - although its a salmon application the principal is the same.

In case the embedded link didn't work here's the direct URL - Setting and Managing Double Divers - YouTube

Post Thanks / Like

What I mean to say is when you have a fish on the 3 setting what keeps the fish from tangling with your 1 setting as your bringing it in.

Post Thanks / Like

When you have a fish on your outer rod, and it is set farther back, it will move even farther back once the diver is tripped. Also generally the fish will rise as the whole rig also swings behind the boat clearing your first dipsey rod. Think of your rods being set like the wings on a jet. The farthest one out should also be the farthest one set back.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the help everyone. My big mess was putting the wrong diver out the wrong side. Messed up the morning pretty bad. The right left thing got me good. I then watched very closely where it was going. Also learned to let out slowly. Thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like

I think most of the tangles occur when setting the dipseys out.Especially if trying to put out a 3 setting with the 1 setting a ready in water.Any fish on that 1 setting and will most likely tangle.I'm watching that 1 setting as that 3 setting going out on clicker.If I see rod move on that 1 setting, I will stop the 3 setting going out and reel it in.Another area that could cause problem is that dipsey going through that prop wash.I try and get that dipsey deep enough initially to miss the strongest prop wash.
    The second area of potential tangles is when both rods out fishing and a fish is on a line without pulling the set lever.That fish will affect the position of the dipsey by its weight and movements.So keep an eye on the bend in rod and angle of the lines.If in doubt check em.

Post Thanks / Like

You all are a fountain of knowledge. I will reflect back on this many times. Thanks again.