Sunday's frustration (hint no fish and stable flies) Sunday's frustration (hint no fish and stable flies) Sunday's frustration (hint no fish and stable flies) Sunday's frustration (hint no fish and stable flies)
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Sunday's frustration (hint no fish and stable flies)

We also fished Fathers Day morning.We were east of you Mike.Was a slow pick for us, but did manage to catch 12 keepers from 16-23" for 3 guys trolling for 5hrs. We also caught around 30 shorts and 15 white perch/bass.The dipsey on a 3 setting from 45-60 caught the most fish with double willow harnesses on them.Had an antifreeze color on one side and purple with pink back on other side.Had worm burners on dipsey with one setting that caught a few at 35-50.On our inline boards caught 3 keepers on 3 different color bandits at a 40,60 and 100 leads.So no pattern with our cranks.Speed was around 2.2mph.The flys were bad too,so kept my pants on even though it was pretty hot.If you are using dipseys,and initially trying to find depth fish are biting,set both dipseys at around the depth you think fish will bite.I like moving them at multiples of 5.So start the dipseys on 3 setting at 50 and 55.After 20min of no hits,move the 55 down to 60 and the 50 up to 45.Every 20min of no hits move one up 5 and one down 5.That helps you find the depth the fish are biting.

Post Thanks / Like

Good tip on moving the dipsy divers up and down. I did that but not as systematically as you suggest. I was alone so I only had two dipsy running and one board. Do not want to tempt fate and have too many lines in the water. I did not have crawlers but that may have helped. I usually get bites on the crawler harnesses but more junk fish and smaller walleyes. I also was pulling a bit slower. More like 1.8 to 2.0
    Appreciate the reply.

Quote Originally Posted by itsbob View Post
    We also fished Fathers Day morning.We were east of you Mike.Was a slow pick for us, but did manage to catch 12 keepers from 16-23" for 3 guys trolling for 5hrs. We also caught around 30 shorts and 15 white perch/bass.The dipsey on a 3 setting from 45-60 caught the most fish with double willow harnesses on them.Had an antifreeze color on one side and purple with pink back on other side.Had worm burners on dipsey with one setting that caught a few at 35-50.On our inline boards caught 3 keepers on 3 different color bandits at a 40,60 and 100 leads.So no pattern with our cranks.Speed was around 2.2mph.The flys were bad too,so kept my pants on even though it was pretty hot.If you are using dipseys,and initially trying to find depth fish are biting,set both dipseys at around the depth you think fish will bite.I like moving them at multiples of 5.So start the dipseys on 3 setting at 50 and 55.After 20min of no hits,move the 55 down to 60 and the 50 up to 45.Every 20min of no hits move one up 5 and one down 5.That helps you find the depth the fish are biting.

Post Thanks / Like

Fished Sunday on a neighbors boat, Started SW of Green for 45 minutes, nothing, headed up North of Ballast, caught 1 keeper (#1 Dipsey set at 2/55') and a 6# Cat, Broke 1 line and lost the dipsey and spoon. Weird break, right near the Reel. Also Stretched out a snubber on a fish, but the fish came off so would have liked to see what that one was. Stayed in here with no success, trolled to the line, towards Middle Island and then South, West of Gull. For almost 3 hours did not have a single bite, tried everything with the boat and depths and tackle with no success. Moved and set up SE of South Bass, and caught 4 shorts and some sheep, pulled lines and went home. I did place 2nd in the Fly killing contest with 11 kills to my credit (Yellow fly swatter, overhand twist). The whole boat got 38 flys. Blow day Monday and did not go today, but wind was winding down when I left. One neighbor fished off of Lorain and got his 18 fish on Sunday.

Beautiful day on the Lake! (besides lack of fish and the flys)

Post Thanks / Like

What’s the limit on flies. I got a couple double hitters with one fly swatter this year…. Talked to some guys today. They have been doing better around 6pm than during day around SBI…My buddy caught his limit on his pontoon boat right off shore off of Lorain. Two rods off back no boards on rapalas…GL next time.

Post Thanks / Like

Bite is starting to pick back up snagged this Wally in front of Castle depth 36ft, 2.5 mph, 51 ft of line, flicker minnow. Sunday's frustration (hint no fish and stable flies)-6810da20-0b22-49f6-905c-d0485ec4b03e-jpg I may of dragged him a bit to long

Post Thanks / Like

Good detailed report. What size willow blades and bead colors were you using on your harnesses? I thought I had tied every color and style of crawler harnesses, but never a double willow harness. Looks like another trip to Jann's Netcraft is in my future. I'll post the next time I'm out. My boat has been waiting to get in the shop for three weeks now and expect a quote on the damages ( pumping out the tank and carburetor rebuild) later today. Good luck on your next trip.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Skywatcher View Post
    Good detailed report. What size willow blades and bead colors were you using on your harnesses? I thought I had tied every color and style of crawler harnesses, but never a double willow harness. Looks like another trip to Jann's Netcraft is in my future. I'll post the next time I'm out. My boat has been waiting to get in the shop for three weeks now and expect a quote on the damages ( pumping out the tank and carburetor rebuild) later today. Good luck on your next trip.
    I'm not quite sure the willow blades are labeled by size.I know the colorado blades do come by size number.I would say the size of willow is 2" long by 1/2" wide.I use quick change cleves with a lip on them.Then gamagatzu #1 hook and a treble behind that.The double willow are good because you can run them at higher speeds than the colorado.Im not sure how much bead color matters,but i use 6mm diameter beads.I like the transparent colors if i can get them.I like orange beads on all my trolling harness and i use a purple bead if got antifreeze blade and use neon yellow bead if using a purple blade.Seaguar 20# flourocarbon tied 6.5ft long.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info. I like the longer leader idea. I usually tie my harnesses either 36" or 48".

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MIKE_OMZIG View Post
    Sunday 6/20 I decided to head out on a whim. Left the dock about 8am in Huron. Went out to the dumping grounds and seen some fair marks. Set up two dispy divers with a spoon and shallow bandit. Set up a hot n tot on an inline board. trolled NE with the wind around 2MPH SOG. No bites. Changed the shallow bandit on the dipsy to another spoon. Changed the hot n tot to a mag 44. Eventually changed to a few different deep bandits. Tried various depths. Got out to about 45FOW before turning and heading back S to SW into the wind. Similar speed. Only thing that got bit was me! The stable flys were horrendous. Eventually drove me off the lake since I failed to have insect repellant with me. Was only out for a maybe 3 hours but failed to catch anything. Only 4th time out this year but i didnt even catch a sheephead or white bass.
    Water clarity seemed really clear. I could see the dipsy about 8 to 10' down. Not sure what I was doing wrong or if the fish were simply not there and not active. Ultimately the flies made me leave and not try another area.

Was I just in the wrong area or were the fish just turned off Sunday morning? I have been reading and trying to learn everything I can but not having great results. My best day this year was drifting using crawlers and I brought home 2 walleye and a perch about a month ago.
    Your not alone. I did everything possible on Sunday. Ran harnesses, bandits, flickers and spoons. All different colors, depths, speeds and directions. Dipsys, jets and boards. Caught 3 keepers and a bunch of sheep’s. Ran from west sisters to north side of Kelly’s. Marked fish all day, just couldn’t get on an active school. Better luck next weekend!

Post Thanks / Like

Just read that a little bit ago. I do know those biting flies your talking about. They chewed my wife's ankles up a couple weeks ago.