Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Casters

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Casters

Did you go north of C? Often when the wind dies so does the bite. Some times a slow lift n drop on bottom will entice them when the wind dies.

Post Thanks / Like

Went about a mile and a half NE of C-can. Drifted toward due north of C on the first pass. Then the wind died.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hhill3 View Post
    Went about a mile and a half NE of C-can. Drifted toward due north of C on the first pass. Then the wind died.
    Went out on head boat Friday 6/11 and did good. Small gold single hook harness, 5 to 10 count. Half a worm on it. We were west of the islands not to far from the border. I`m not a big facebook person either, but the few fishing groups I`m in gives me some valuable info. Especially the Erie Casters page. There`s a group that can help you target whatever fishing your into.

Post Thanks / Like

We casted weapons for decades and they do sometimes come in a tangled mess.I believe the majority of the tangles occur when the rig hits the water and the barrel sinker sinks through the rig and creates some tangles.I tried to close the bail of my spinning reel right when rig was hitting the water and reeled in the slack.I kept some slight tension in the line by reeling slowly as the rig sank and i would count on the drop before i retrieved.That way,i prevented tangles and was able to feel a fish bite while it was sinking.Others would cast and keep slack all the way till they started reeling in and get more tangles and less fish than me.

Post Thanks / Like

Some good casting reports!! I hate fishing the crowd also. I seem to have more consistent luck when I'm outside and away from the pack. I have to believe that the fish scatter as the pressure builds when the boats add up.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, there are a lot of die hard casters and drifters here. I've been one since 1975, out of West Harbor all the years!
    Last edited by 45wheeler; 06-16-2021 at 03:27 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

When casting weapons what is the trick to keep line from twisting up around the spinner

Post Thanks / Like

Early morning or when you have a good chop or cloud cover I tend to fish in the 5-10 count range. As the sun comes up and or wind dies down I generally have better luck closer to the bottom. I often stop my retrieve 3-4 times on the way in for just a few seconds. Many times fish will hit on the drop. Also if you miss a hit I give the lure a drop back to trigger a second strike.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dansdad View Post
    Early morning or when you have a good chop or cloud cover I tend to fish in the 5-10 count range. As the sun comes up and or wind dies down I generally have better luck closer to the bottom. I often stop my retrieve 3-4 times on the way in for just a few seconds. Many times fish will hit on the drop. Also if you miss a hit I give the lure a drop back to trigger a second strike.
    As far as keeping the tangles to a minimum. Right as the lure is just about to hit the water I grab the line for just a split second with my finger. This straightens the weapon out and allows it to fall without tangling. I then let it fall to my desired depth before closing the bail. I also will rip the line off the pole by pulling the pole back. This allows the lure to fall more straight down vs coming back to you. I believe this keeps bait in strike zone little longer

Post Thanks / Like

So what is the low down for this weekend, I figure on trying C first if noting then I guess I will prolly head East toward Gull or Cedar point. Anybody heard anything on West Sister this week ?

Capt. Andy