What are the walleye eating? What are the walleye eating? What are the walleye eating? What are the walleye eating?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Prkr314 View Post
    itsbob, Did you guys run bandits? Did you have a lot of foul hooked fish? We lost quite a few dragging them in sideways. I usually don't run weight in front of bandits...but the fish were pretty far down in 46fow. Next trip East I think I'm going to run harnesses or J7s behind 3oz and see what happens.
    Yeah,prkr 314 we did have a few foul hooked walleye that came in sideways Saturday.One walleye about 20" long took forever to get in.Thought we had snagged a log.Could barely reel it in.Plus at least 2 others.As for harnesses,good luck.I have tried to use harnesses several times this year and last and been disappointed in how they caught.My spoons and spoon harnesses beat them every time.But let us know how they do.

Post Thanks / Like

I’ve been fishing on the rocks at the shoals and the walleye we catch are eating goabies. I’m sure they are sucking up zebra mussels while feeding on the goabies in the rocks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by erie son View Post
    I’ve been fishing on the rocks at the shoals and the walleye we catch are eating goabies. I’m sure they are sucking up zebra mussels while feeding on the goabies in the rocks.
    The shells in the walleye stomachs could also be what's left from the goby's stomachs after the walleyes digest the rest of their meal of these common island-area prey items.

Regarding color, people have long called the walleyes showing more gold color "Canadian fish." It may be caused from coming from more cooler water from north of the border. The Detroit River flow can often run just north of the islands, best seen when its clear water contrasts with the mud or algae stained water coming from Ohio's tributaries, especially after a heavy rain event. Also, fish that are on structure and weeds are often more colorful than the paler walleye and yellow perch orienting over mud flats.

Post Thanks / Like

My neighbor has been trolling worm harnesses with success. You just have to get them deep enough for the fish to bite.

Post Thanks / Like

Is it illegal to keep a foul-hooked walleye?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yes. It will land you a fine and you will forfeit your rod and reel.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ted33 View Post
    Yes. It will land you a fine and you will forfeit your rod and reel.

Good to know. Don’t think I’ve caught any foul hooked walleye this year but a LOT of the WB/WP I’ve caught have been foul hooked for some reason.