Perch bite was on thursday. Perch bite was on thursday. Perch bite was on thursday. Perch bite was on thursday.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Perch bite was on thursday.

Was catching doubles S of Green Island Thursday until the blow kicked up and had to apologise to a few people in the pack. Need suggestions for an anchor for my boat. Got a 175 GLS Sea Nymph with an inland lake anchor on it that don't work. Was told when I bought the boat the weight is 950 pounds. Not sure if that includes 60 hp Johnson on it probably not. Then add me and the Misses and gear, guessing anchor needs to hold1800 depending how many fillets I eat. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by badboards; 08-08-2020 at 01:57 PM. Reason: Type o

Reside in Columbus, OH. Have place in Perrysburg, OH.

Getting the right size anchor for your boat is important, but not as important as knowing how to use / set it. When your boat "bobs" in the water, you want the pulling force exerted on the anchor to be as horizontal to the bottom of the lake as possible. Too little line (scope) out means the anchor is being pulled up in a vertical direction and will come loose much easier than an anchor with a lot of line out where the pulling force is much more horizontal. That's the first rule - put out line at least 5 times the water depth. So off Green Island, soft bottom, say 25 foot depth you should put out at least 125 feet of anchor line (again, called scope). Minimum. Seven times the water depth (add 6-8 feet for boat to water level) is preferred. Next you have to make sure you get the anchor "set" into the bottom. Tossing it out and hoping it "catches" is not the way to do it. Drop the anchor - never toss or throw it - slowly until it hits bottom. If you have wind let the wind take out the amount of scope. Then tie it off. Feel the line to see if it gets stiff and the anchor sets. Sometimes this takes 30-60 seconds. If no wind back up the boat (assuming you anchor off the bow) slowly and do the same, taking the boat out of gear when you reach the proper scope.

Done correctly an anchor that is technically too small for a boat will still probably hold it in light or moderate winds if it's set correctly. A correct size anchor deployed wrong in the same conditions may not hold.

Look up your boat model and I'm sure there is an anchor type, weight and size recommendation. Or try the Coast Guard or ODNR Watercraft.
    Last edited by West Basin; 08-08-2020 at 08:56 PM.

Great insight. We have a 25' Sport Craft and use a smaller anchor most of the time since we don't usually go out for perch in anything above 2 footers and it's much easier to pull up each time. It's let loose a few times, and it did once today. But once it grabs again, it's fine. Sometimes it takes a little longer to grab, but patience is key

I purchased a fluke. Has the ability to dig down in the sand. I had a 16 foot Crestliner with a 30 pound river anchor on it before this boat, it's claws dug in and held pretty good but was a smaller boat. Your correct about the amount of line to let out, not sure I have 125 feet. But with out the correct anchor your waisting your time. Can't wait to get back out there.

I have an 8 pound anchor was told good for up to 25 foot boat on label and by WEstmarine. Not even holding in 10 mph breeze. So I bought a larger. Now I can sell you my 8 pounder for half price. Only used 2 years. send me a PM if interested. My boat is a 23 footer.

Rickerd
    Last edited by rickerd; 08-10-2020 at 04:04 PM.

One thing all anchors schould have is a chain. Chain will keep anchor flat on bottom and greatly help anchor dig in. Best thing I put on boat is a Lewmar Windlass. Use to anchor off stern. This did keep boat stead without to much swing. But backing boat to pull up anchor tough on older body. Have 200 ft. of rode ( anchor line) 15lb flake anchor 20 ft. of 5/16 chain. Free fall windlass drift back lock windlass rape line around front cleat. Boat does swing with bow anchor but still get perch. Have 26 ft. Tompson

West Marine has a Anchor Pull Ball ,$75 works every time , just snap it on to the Anchor Line power the boat slow and it pops it up all the way to the surface. been using on my Searay 270 Amberjack 10 years works every time even in heavy seas.
    works on all Anchors, however I do use a 14 LB Plow Anchor for better holding , also Anchor off Stern to prevent Boat Swing , better for catching Perch !

IF you anchor off stern, be extra careful a large wave doesn't take the boat down. I've heard more than a few boats go under this way through the years.
    Rickerd

Are you by chance the Rickerd that had the bait shop at 53 & 163 until last fall?

Thanks for sharing the ⚓ ball thread Capt Tacky. Just watched the YouTube video about it. Pretty cool. Never seen that before. I had an electric hoist on my Crestliner. Gives me something else to consider. Not sure how big the ball would be for a 17.5 footer but I'll check it out. Thanks.