Quote Originally Posted by My Way View Post
I'd like to thank everyone who contributed/offered assistance/info/suggestions. before I read all the information, I purchased and installed a new primer bulb, took it out a a test run to the intake, ran beautiful then as I rounded the intake, same results, lost all rpms had to limp in at 5 mph . Read all the information posted, went to the marina Saturday and took the gas line off and blew as suggested (several times). Then checked the anti-siphon valve on the pick up tube and there was no ball in the valve, it was free flowing from either direction, went to Mobile R.V. & Marine in Oak Harbor and picked up a new valve installed and motor started right up, ran for 20 minutes, ran beautiful, after I shut it down, checked fuel/water separator, no debris, unable to test run it due to 3 - 5 foot waves Saturday morning.
Went to go fishing Sunday (yesterday) and 1 mile out same results, lost rpms, so I decided to fish right there, 30 minutes, no luck, so I moved a few times, ended up drifting 5.5 miles towards the east, ended up with 1 eye. At this point it was 11:00 I said I better head in. Took off fine, after about a mile & 1/2 lost all rpms again, cut off many times on the way in. At one point I went to prime the bulb to help get it started, the primer bulb had collapsed suck in on itself. end up limping back in, cut off in the channel, I ended up docking in the middle of A bank, let it sit for an hour, then limped back to my dock, very frustrated. Captain Tacky you mention a filter Screen inside the tank, how would I access it? My engine is a 2001 Yamaha 225 TXRP it does not have a VST found how to clean one on You Tube. I also switched to Star Tron Enzyme Fuel Treatment from Sta-Bil. I have ordered new plugs and wires but I really feel as if its a fuel issue because when its idling at the dock it sounds like its running perfect. NOW THE BAD;
I've used any gas available, usually the least expensive I could find, the previous owner only told me to use mid-grade to premium, so if that meant trailing, then that's what I had to do, occasionally I'd get it at Meinke's but its really expensive, almost $4 a gallon at times. I never knew anything about non-ethanol gas until reading this forum, after reading I began paying attention at the pump mostly Costco, they bolster about having Top Tier Gas but over the weekend I see the pump says; "contains 10% ethanol" So this is where I am, it's so frustrating I'm about ready to go to a shop, $$$ but most in the area don't/won't service Yamaha, the closest I could find is; Happy Days or Dubbert's' PC!
Thank you all in advance for any & all of the assistance.
Have you noticed any un-burnt fuel coming out of the back of the motor? I had a very similar problem with my ox66 225 last summer. My problem ended up being a fuel pump. Replaced all 3 for 150.00 and all is good. Should be a you tube video on how to check for a bad diaphragm. Think all I did was tighten all the screws around the housing then loosen the pump from the cylinder and pump the bulb. If no fuel leaks out tighten and go to the next one and repeat. Worth a look but im old and forgetful so look for a video.