Quote Originally Posted by Eyezcrazy View Post
Well then I guess they shouldn’t put limits on us recreational fisherman if large nets don’t have an effect.
Limits are there for a reason and I'm sure you know why. The commercial guys in Ohio have strict limits also. Don't get me wrong. I'm not sticking up for commercial fishing. In fact, I don't thing there should be any commercial netting on the Great Lakes. Commercial fishermen everywhere, when given the chance will cheat. They get caught on the lakes all the time. Our one commercial guy in Michigan waters of the western basin (his license is for rough fish) got caught with 800 lbs of whitefish last fall, but it was worth the risk because at the time the max fine was like around 250 and seizure of the fish. I know one of the Ohio guys got popped last year. It's gotten better in Canada, but they are still largely self monitored. The biggest issue I have with Canadian operations is the use of [B]gill[B]nets. I still catch walleye with gill plate damage now and then, and don't get me going on the marketing of steel head the are planted by the Lake Erie states. Canada doesn't plant any. It's just like anything else, follow the money! OK, my rant is over.