Friday 5/22 was light rain and calm winds all day. Picked up a limit of walleyes in 3 hours of trolling the flats south of Kelleys Island. 53 degree water temperature, 30 FOW, 1.7mph. Bandits 55 back behind planer boards & 150 back as a long line (no weight). Go figure, the long line got hooked up just as much as the planer boards. Guess old school is still good sometimes. With glassy calm water it did seem the fish wanted the planers a little further out from the boat than usual. Maybe 75 feet.

Saturday 5/23 started with a dense fog and a hatch of midges covering my boat. Turned on the nav lights and the radar for safety and made a long slow troll across the area from yesterday. Nothing from the fish but the midges kept coming, yuck! Sun came out about 11:30am so I was able to go looking further out. Found the fish west of Kelleys Island. With bright sunshine they had moved deeper than the 15 feet zone from Friday. Water temp still 53 degrees, speed still 1.7 mph, still bandits. However the hot bite came with 125 back from horizontal rod holders and 75+50 back with a 1.5oz snap weight fished near the bottom. I had abandoned the planer boards due to navigating heavy boat traffic. Only 90 minutes effort to collect 6 fat walleyes. 14 lbs at the cleaners.

Happy Memorial Day Everyone!