Switched over to rubber bands like 8yrs ago when went on charter that used them for his inline boards.I buy size #33 at OfficeMax.I loop the robberband through a hole in the arm in front of board,then stretch it over front edge then hook it to wire loop on back of board.I originally had trouble with the amount of tension on the flag.Sometimes did not have enough to keep flag up and others too tight to indicate a fish.I experimented with different size/thickness rubber bands and even set them in car to lessen their strength.I finally read a thread somewhere,that a guy would cut a small wedge out of the leading edge of board to run the rubber band through.That way you could move the rubber band forward or backward through that wedge to change tension on the flag.You actually don't need to cut that wedge out.Just push or pull the rubber band to either side of the leading edge to adjust tension.So when initially setting out boards,i will put out a crank or harness/weight with desired lead and attach to board and hold on to board and move the rubber band to get just enough tension to keep flag up.Then I put board in water a short distance from boat and see if flag stays up.Then I will jerk the rod forward to see if flag goes down with that slightly increased weight.If board looking good will set it out in proper position.Will keep an eye on all the boards and move the rubber bands when bringing board in to fine tune them.Even with all that,you will still get small fish not pulling flag down.Sometimes the line pulls through back release and if there is no slack line between releases.the flag will not go down.This happens in rougher water and if board had been out for a while.That is the reason I will wrap my line around my red rear release with pin.My black front release is so tight,it does not slip.And...I use mono.