it drifting with jigs on the reefs I like 15# mono with a 4' leader of 20# seaguar premier leader. a drift bag or even 1 at each end is used on the reefs at times. if drifting open water I like spinning reels loaded with 8# or 10# trilene xl. just no need for heavy or stiff line in open water. just set the drag in case you hook a trophy. and check the end of your line often for nicks.

for trolling divers like dipsy, Dreamweaver deeper divers, or lite bite slide divers I put 150' of 16# mono on for backing then fill the reel with 30# braid putting the same amount of braid on each reel. then I use a 7' fluro leader. braid is pretty much a must for these divers to get them to release with the rod.

for using boards big game in 12# to 16# with a 7' fluro leaders but 30# braid will also work but you may have to upgrade the releases. with boards a 3 oz sinker like rednekoutfitters.com has works great. they have a depth chart that will get you in the ball park but to many factors to be dead on. feel free to message me if I can be of help.