Launch Spot for Portable Boat Toledo Launch Spot for Portable Boat Toledo Launch Spot for Portable Boat Toledo Launch Spot for Portable Boat Toledo
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Reside in Columbus, OH. Have place in Perrysburg, OH.
    Post Thanks / Like

Never heard of a "Porta-Bote." Looked it up. Interesting concept. I don't know anything about these boats, but from what I saw on their website, I'd think twice about taking such a craft out on the Maumee River for the Walleye run (March / April) or anywhere on Maumee Bay or Lake Erie. The boat appears to be designed for calmer small lakes and ponds, smaller rivers. I would think any bigger water unless it's a perfect day (i.e. warm water no waves or boat traffic) and you stay real close to shore wouldn't be advised.

There are two main walleye run boat access points for the Maumee River, both in Perrysburg. The first and best for boats especially larger ones is the Maple Street access, about 4-5 blocks north of Main Street on River Road. Not much of a sign. Big wide parking area and concrete dock head, two ramps. The other is the Orleans Park launch just north of the Maumee/Perrysburg bridge, access road on north side about a quarter mile south of the bridge. You could also launch from the parking lot below Fort Megis (right next to the bridge, west side access 50 feet from south side of bridge) and Schradiers's (spelled wrong I'm sure) campground which is just west of Fort Megis. Also launch on the Maumee side of the river at various places at Side Cut Metro Park and just upriver, just west of Maumee, but that area is higher current.

Be very careful. The water is often high and always cold during the run. I'd avoid the high water periods and probably also the higher current areas west of the bridge.
    Last edited by West Basin; 01-27-2020 at 08:59 AM. Reason: additions

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, Very good points West Basin. Having fished the Maumee for many years out of Perrysburg prior to my move to the lake, I learned to respect that waterway, a few (white knuckle moments). The current is very strong, I fished with a 14 ft. deep V and 15 hp. There were times you wondered if it was enough. The wind runs down that river like a funnel from the West. Lots of stuff that likes to chew on the lower unit and force down the anchor rope too. Best be very careful.
    PimplePounder

Ranger Cherokee 237 18ft.
    115 HP. Johnson SPL
    15 HP Merc. Kicker
    Xi5 Motorguide Auto Anchor/GPS
    FL-20 Vexilar
    898 HD DI SI Humminbird GPS
    Navonics Premium