6/23 Inexperienced Walleye Report 6/23 Inexperienced Walleye Report 6/23 Inexperienced Walleye Report 6/23 Inexperienced Walleye Report
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

One thing to remember with inline weights, they are very speed dependent. For example, running a bandit with 100ft of line out and a 2oz snap weight at 50ft (50/50) gets the bandit down to 34ft at 1.5mph and only 25ft at 2.5mph (precision trolling guide is my source). That’s a 9ft difference from 1.5mph-2.5mph. That’s why I usually go with jet divers or tru trips. Bandits get down to 20ft on their own and I throw those off the boards to cover the middle/upper part of the column. Have been experimenting with inline weights on bandits to get them deeper though.

Post Thanks / Like

its really hard to comment without knowing your speed and line out. right now the fish seems to be suspended in the water column. you might have been a little deep. or should have tried a little closer to the boats as they may have been on a nice pod of fish.

Post Thanks / Like

Since my boat idles at around 4.5 MPH I'm having to run 2 big bags to get my boat down to about 2 MPH. The GPS said 1.5 - 1.8 most of the day, but that doesn't take current into consideration.

Running harnesses, which don't dive on their own, if I remember correctly, I was running 1 ft of line for 2 ft of depth with a 2 oz inline sinker. That didn't seem right to me at the time, and now I'm thinking maybe I wasn't letting enough line out! Back to the books...

I'm out of practice, and I need to get back out and play. I also have some "how to" stuff I need to go through again.

I got some of the "Walleye 101" info from Lance Valentine a few years back, and after running with his information, I limited out on my first trip. Probably luck, but it's been a while since I've been out and/or did any studying.
    2003 Wellcraft Coastal 270

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure how long your trolling runs were but if you catch a couple fish, mark that spot on your map and if you go 10 or 15 mins without a fish, make a big turn back over that mark.

If you don't have a map on your finder, I've been using Navionics map on my phone to mark spots too. My friends boat I use in CLE doesn't have fish finder or a map. Its been fun to try and sniff them out with his boat too.
    Rickerd

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sloch24 View Post
    Since my boat idles at around 4.5 MPH I'm having to run 2 big bags to get my boat down to about 2 MPH. The GPS said 1.5 - 1.8 most of the day, but that doesn't take current into consideration.

Running harnesses, which don't dive on their own, if I remember correctly, I was running 1 ft of line for 2 ft of depth with a 2 oz inline sinker. That didn't seem right to me at the time, and now I'm thinking maybe I wasn't letting enough line out! Back to the books...

I'm out of practice, and I need to get back out and play. I also have some "how to" stuff I need to go through again.

I got some of the "Walleye 101" info from Lance Valentine a few years back, and after running with his information, I limited out on my first trip. Probably luck, but it's been a while since I've been out and/or did any studying.
    I think at 1.5-1.8 sog u r running way too slow! I was running 2.2 - 2.6 a month ago. I have been doing drift n cast at work, but if I was doing a trolling trip I would start at 2.6 and go faster til I did not catch any sheep. 3.6 is not too fast!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by captainshotgun View Post
    I think at 1.5-1.8 sog u r running way too slow! I was running 2.2 - 2.6 a month ago. I have been doing drift n cast at work, but if I was doing a trolling trip I would start at 2.6 and go faster til I did not catch any sheep. 3.6 is not too fast!

We ran around 2.2 for about an hour, and still nothing. It must have just been one of those days for us.. The fish gods weren't on our side!

Not marking any fish is what had me most concerned. We just couldn't find them! I've been able to catch them in the past when I see them, but I just didn't see any!

Thanks though. I'll keep that in mind next time we go out.. Speed up!

Post Thanks / Like

I also fish on various boats and the common theme is they do not know how to use their electronics properly.One does not know how to access numbers like lat and long to find the numbers others are fishing.The other guy has no trails or icons we can use.The other guy wants to have sonar on fish ID and all we see are pictures of fish.Cant distinguish between bait or fish.I use my 20yr old basic hand held gps and do what we need to do.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, yesterday we got schooled. We went out, marked very few fish, moved 3 times, and got SKUNKED! Very disappointing.

I was running harnesses with inlines on the Port side, and spoons with Tripz 30s on the Starboard. I think we might have had 1, but we lost it right away.

I'm not a master at reading my sonar, but I wasn't seeing fish like I normally do. We moved around, and looked where other boats were fishing, but we still only marked on or two here or there.

Frustrating.

FYI: we were fishing NE of West Sister Island. We burned some fuel getting there and back, but no rewards.

Next time I guess...

Post Thanks / Like

Sloch24 ,think you have the same boat my father had.A 28' Wellcraft coastal we got in 80s.The stringers rotted out and we got rid of boat.If interested in having me join you to help out getting your trolling gear operate properly,call or text me.440-227-6357.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by itsbob View Post
    Sloch24 ,think you have the same boat my father had.A 28' Wellcraft coastal we got in 80s.The stringers rotted out and we got rid of boat.If interested in having me join you to help out getting your trolling gear operate properly,call or text me.440-227-6357.
    I'll keep that in mind. Thanks for the offer!

No wood in my 270 though. Nothing to rot out. I got rid of my last boat due to rot.