Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Duck View Post
The last few months I wonder what happened to the perch season this past summer and fall. It started out so great in August, and then it got real tough and there were days when I could barely catch a half dozen. My friend was having a tough time too, so he took a head boat out of Tibbels and he only got three for the day! I know others talked about the spiney water fleas were in the stomachs of the perch, but the season never seemed to turn around in September and October. What did everyone else experience? I am worried this upcoming spring may be tough too. I don't see anyone mentioning catching any perch on the forum since the end of Oct. The fall Walleye season seems to have attracted everyone with great fishing.
Thanks,
Bruce
According to the Sandusky, ohio DNR , the perch population is still there and only good. They say the lake changes every few years. The loss of minnows had affect the eating habits of the perch. Once was minnows their primary food source is now the spiney water fleas. They will eat the fleas now and ignore the minnow. The DNR said it is what it is, unless the natural habitat changes. I live and fish in Marblehead, Ohio. I do have trouble buying into this explanation. Fish finders do not lie, I DO NOT MARK THE PERCH AS IN THE PAST. There were a few times I did mark small groups of perch, with other boats around me. We took our minnows for swims. The few we did catch all had spiney water fleas. I'm 67 years old my knowledge tells me it is evolution of mans' mistake. Zebra mussels no food for minnows. ( plankton ) no minnows no natural bait fish. The walleye population is great and growing. Food for survival---what is next on the food chain for the walleye.The limit of perch days are over.