Question On Running Dipseys Question On Running Dipseys Question On Running Dipseys Question On Running Dipseys
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

its really simple to get the outside rod out over the inside rod. you start with the out side diver set on a 3 setting and let it out with the clicker on the reel on. now set it out to the length you want to run. then set the back diver on a 2 setting and let it out 20' less than your front diver. always set the outside diver out farther than the inside diver. now you bring the outside diver in. get it ready to put out. go to the back of the boat and take the diver as far over to the other side of the boat as you can take it without getting into the other lines. make sure your clicker is on and put the diver in the water with the reel out of gear. let it out until its 10' past the inside diver is set. now go up and over the back rod and place the rod in a holder and lock reel down. the diver will go over the inside holder. now set the front diver where you want it to be. sometimes the reel will go out a little to far so you slowly reel up the extra line you let out. sometimes it doesn't let out enough line then you need to slowly let it out to the desired length.

I run 3 divers on each side and its rare that I get tangled. one thing that helps is when you hook a fish on a outside rod take the rod to the center of the back of the boat and hold it high until the fish clears the inside diver then start reeling it in.

when your letting line on the outside rod be sure and keep the rod high. another thing is if somebody post an open seat on erie be the one that fills it. I didnt know anything about fishing the central basin. I didnt even know how a dipsy worked. I went out on a charter 2 days and I learned more in those 2 days than I would have learned in 2 yrs on my own. I was able to go out and run 3 divers per side. we did have some tangles and still get one sometimes. when we first started the biggest problem with tangles was caused by getting the wrong diver out on the wrong side of the boat.

one thing you can do to keep from putting the rod out on the wrong side of the boat is to paint numbers on rods and on the holder. 1 2 3 4 that way if your catching a lot of fish like this yr you can keep the rods in the right holder. I use sealine sg17lca reels on the left side and sg17lc3b reels on the right side. the lca reels have silver trim the lc3b reels has copper trim.
    Last edited by sherman51; 09-07-2018 at 08:29 AM.