Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Perch

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

7\23\20
    Been a while since I've had any perch news to report, but that changed today. 2 man limit a mile south of B can. 2 of us started fishing at noon and finished 2 hours later with 60 perch. Shiners from A and J, on 3 hook crappy rigs. Very light hits but steady consistent bite. 19 lbs at Shatto's. Can't wait to get back out in the morning after the wind lays down.Perch-723-jpg
    Last edited by 5285; 07-23-2020 at 10:13 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

perch do not migrate like walleye. They are not going to go in schools from WB, passing Marblehead on way to CB and beyond. From what I have read a perch will live its life in WB, or CB, or EB but only few move between. But I'm sure the Marblehead area perch will be getting together soon if not already. Probably just not many reports yet.

Rickerd

Post Thanks / Like

I read an article from one of the Toledo news papers that explained a lot of useful knowledge about perch and when and how to fish for them. You guys do a great job keeping people informed on this forum. Keep up the good work. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

8/21
    Wasted a trip over to D can this afternoon by myself, was there an hour moved 3 times caught several white perch and a sheephead. Got a text from a buddy about some action at A can so I moved over there. Idled around till I found some decent marks and dropped 2 lines. Since the wind was non existent I just let the boat drift. After about 5 minutes drifting maybe 10 feet, both rods had hits, a triple and a single. Hit the spot lock and settled in. It was on and off usualy both rods then nothing for 10 or fifteen minutes. Took 3 hours to catch a limit, did some sorting and they weighed 10 lbs at Shatto's. Used 3 hook crappy rigs with half ounce weight, and nice small goldies from A and Js. 3 of us heading out mid morning looks like a nice day.

Post Thanks / Like

8/28&30
    Went to the east side of L can Friday afternoon with my nieces husband. He had never perch fished Lake Erie and wanted to give it a try. I marked some fish about 200 yards east of the can. It took us about 3 hours to catch our limit of perch, didn't have to move around they just kept coming with no more than 10 minute breaks between the bites. Again it was a pretty light bite, but he caught on really quick. Fish weighed 19 lbs at Shatto's, and were caught on crappy rigs, and goldies from A and Js.
    My regular fishing buddy came up Saturday, but the waves never got below 3 feet, so he spent the night to try again Sunday. We decided to wait till the lake settled down Sunday morning and left the marina around 11 am. I was feeling confident because A and Js had a 50/50 mix of shiners and goldies. Tried west of L can first had some marks but fished a half hour for one perch. Idled around the east side and didn't see any fish, then went a quarter mile north and tried for a half hour with only 2 perch. Drove up to A can, spent 20 minutes looking for good marks, finally found some about mile north of A can close to where I was catching perch last week. Set there for about 45 minutes and only caught 4. Thought I might give the Toledo intake a try, and on the way noticed some boats anchored about half way to the intake closer to shore so I drove down to them and found they were on some pretty good marks. We caught the rest of our limits in about 2 and a half hours. The perch definitely bit better on the shiners than the goldies. All the fish were taken on crappy rigs, with all 3 hooks producing equally. Fish weighed 19 lbs at Shatto's

Post Thanks / Like

5285. What was your depth when you finally got into them? Thx

Post Thanks / Like

22 feet of water

Post Thanks / Like

10\6 to 11\1
    Doesn't feel like it's been a month since I have posted, time flies when you get busy. For the last month I have been fishing within 200 yards of a way point on the north side of Niagara reef in 30 fow that I made back in September. I have been fishing 2 to 4 days a week mostly by myself and it has been unbelievably consistent, with limits taking from 2 to 4 hours and the fish have been mostly 9 to 11 inches with quite a few 12s also. A and Js has had a good supply of nice size shiners, to use on our 3 hook crappy rigs, with all the fish cleaned at Shatto's

Post Thanks / Like

10/5
    They're getting bigger. Took my neighbor back to the north side of Niagara in 30 fow found a school, and caught 17 in an hour and a half. It was a slow bite but every time I said I was going to move we caught another fish. They were all 10 to 12 inches and I hate to leave fish to find fish but we had a 20 minute lull so it was time to move. Looked for another school for about 15 minutes and set up again. Bite was a little faster, perch were still nice size. Ended up taking 5 hours to get our 60 but they filled a 5 gallon bucket. Weather was absolutely perfect, we fished from 10 to 3, and I don't remember a more relaxing and pleasant day on the lake. We used 3 hook crappy rigs weighted with a half ounce sinker and #4 tru turn hooks. Bait was emerald shiners and small goldie mix from Butch and Denny's . Looks like Friday the wind will lay down enough to try it again.Perch-p3-jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Perch

I was out tubing saturday afternoon. I saw a few good "perch type" marks around half way between CIC and PC. Was hoping to try for them on Sunday but, weather didn't cooperate. 20 Fow.

Rickerd