Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Perch

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

8\22
    Headed back to the north of A can this morning at 10 with a buddy. Set up on the same spot as yesterday while looking at some pretty good marks on the bottom and up about 2 feet. As soon as the boat stopped we were covered with midges, head to toe, had to keep wiping them off my glasses to be able to see. Got to enjoy there company for a couple of hours till we got enough of a breeze to carry them off. We were catching perch only on the top hook of hour crappy rigs, so I put 12 inches of leader between the weight and the bottom of the rig to get it higher off the bottom, that started producing some doubles and more consistent singles. It wasn't a fast bite it took us 3 hours to catch our limits. Fished with goldies from A and Js, and the perch weighed 20 lbs at Shato's.

Post Thanks / Like

D Can super light bite. Keep the rod in your hand. No down poles. Uses shinners. No bling. Will not catch anything on bling. 3 man limit in 3 hrs. Trust me, they are there.

Post Thanks / Like

My 2 cents. My wife and I fished Sunday from 7 until 9:30 21ft of water north of Crane Creek. Had 50 in the box using salted emerald shiners. We ran out and started using goldies with no bites for 30 mins. She said it’s time to head in and I always do what she says. 17 pounds at cleaners.
    Last edited by LunkerM; 07-27-2020 at 08:27 AM. Reason: Add info

Post Thanks / Like

Default New to the board

Quote Originally Posted by LunkerM View Post
    My 2 cents. My wife and I fished Sunday from 7 until 9:30 21ft of water north of Crane Creek. Had 50 in the box using salted emerald shiners. We ran out and started using goldies with no bites for 30 mins. She said itÂ’s time to head in and I always do what she says. 17 pounds at cleaners.
    I have been out of the game for a couple of years. Sold my Crestliner, really miss it. Picked up a 1989 gls175 Sea Nymph with a 60vro Johnson. Anyway my question is, I do most my fishing around the islands and launch out of Mazurik or Camp ramp. Done some perch fishing around Marblehead and Kelly's. Not much around the cans. Fly fished for walleye there once got a few keepers. If I apply the same principal of catching them as you guys do is the area around Marblehead good right now and do the perch migrate the way walleye do.
    Last edited by badboards; 07-27-2020 at 01:12 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I have been out of the game for a couple of years. Sold my Crestliner, really miss it. Picked up a 1989 gls175 Sea Nymph with a 60vro Johnson. Anyway my question is, I do most my fishing around the islands and launch out of Mazurik or Camp ramp. Done some perch fishing around Marblehead and Kelly's. Not much around the cans. Jig fished for walleye there once got a few keepers. If I apply the same principal of catching them as you guys do is the area around Marblehead good right now and do the perch migrate the way walleye do.
    Last edited by badboards; 07-27-2020 at 01:05 PM. Reason: Type o

Post Thanks / Like

Told my buddy about recent good perch bite.He went out shore nuff head boat yesterday.Went home with 9 6-8" perch.

Post Thanks / Like

Most perch I have caught have 7” or so their air sac is out so I keep them. So I have been taught to keep them if air sac is out. My understanding is Once it’s out they will die If released.

Post Thanks / Like

This is a great point, and highly controversial to some anglers. Over the years I have caught perch in 6 to 45 feet of water. and have consistently noticed distended air bladder in perch caught in water over 30 feet. I don't ever recall seeing it in fish caught under 30 feet. I have heard the stories and read the articles on perforating the air bladder and releasing the fish, my personal experience is they become seagull food within 10 minutes, so I don't do it. Fishing west of the islands I have witnessed very few cases of distended air bladder in perch, but I have seen the gulls eating a whole bunch of undersized perch when fishing around packs of boats. I only release under size perch if they are lip hooked and energetic. Gill and belly hooked perch go in the bucket regardless of size.
    Last edited by 5285; 08-03-2020 at 10:55 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

5285, this is because you value our resource. Awesome! I would say most of us on here do. A dying fish if at legal size goes in the box.
    PimplePounder

Ranger Cherokee 237 18ft.
    115 HP. Johnson SPL
    15 HP Merc. Kicker
    Xi5 Motorguide Auto Anchor/GPS
    FL-20 Vexilar
    898 HD DI SI Humminbird GPS
    Navonics Premium

Post Thanks / Like

Fished at C can then moved to B Friday. Slow bite. Three guys caught 61. 21 pounds. Fished 8 until 2:00.