Perch Perch Perch Perch
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Perch

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have some tiny tungsten jigs I made designed to replicate daphnia aka water fleas. Although they are still much larger than a water flea they do seem to work very well through the ice. I tip them with a single spike. The hard part would be getting this tiny jig to the bottom and be able to feel or detect the bite. You could get it down there with a weight, but with the lake always seeming to cause bouncing around, them light bite are very hard to detect. It is pretty easy to detect when on the ice though. I think I have a pic of one of the jigs I make in my picture gallery sitting on a dime.
    Last edited by pimplepounder; 10-23-2019 at 04:08 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

7\23\20
    Been a while since I've had any perch news to report, but that changed today. 2 man limit a mile south of B can. 2 of us started fishing at noon and finished 2 hours later with 60 perch. Shiners from A and J, on 3 hook crappy rigs. Very light hits but steady consistent bite. 19 lbs at Shatto's. Can't wait to get back out in the morning after the wind lays down.Perch-723-jpg
    Last edited by 5285; 07-23-2020 at 10:13 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

perch do not migrate like walleye. They are not going to go in schools from WB, passing Marblehead on way to CB and beyond. From what I have read a perch will live its life in WB, or CB, or EB but only few move between. But I'm sure the Marblehead area perch will be getting together soon if not already. Probably just not many reports yet.

Rickerd

Post Thanks / Like

I read an article from one of the Toledo news papers that explained a lot of useful knowledge about perch and when and how to fish for them. You guys do a great job keeping people informed on this forum. Keep up the good work. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

8/21
    Wasted a trip over to D can this afternoon by myself, was there an hour moved 3 times caught several white perch and a sheephead. Got a text from a buddy about some action at A can so I moved over there. Idled around till I found some decent marks and dropped 2 lines. Since the wind was non existent I just let the boat drift. After about 5 minutes drifting maybe 10 feet, both rods had hits, a triple and a single. Hit the spot lock and settled in. It was on and off usualy both rods then nothing for 10 or fifteen minutes. Took 3 hours to catch a limit, did some sorting and they weighed 10 lbs at Shatto's. Used 3 hook crappy rigs with half ounce weight, and nice small goldies from A and Js. 3 of us heading out mid morning looks like a nice day.

Post Thanks / Like

8/28&30
    Went to the east side of L can Friday afternoon with my nieces husband. He had never perch fished Lake Erie and wanted to give it a try. I marked some fish about 200 yards east of the can. It took us about 3 hours to catch our limit of perch, didn't have to move around they just kept coming with no more than 10 minute breaks between the bites. Again it was a pretty light bite, but he caught on really quick. Fish weighed 19 lbs at Shatto's, and were caught on crappy rigs, and goldies from A and Js.
    My regular fishing buddy came up Saturday, but the waves never got below 3 feet, so he spent the night to try again Sunday. We decided to wait till the lake settled down Sunday morning and left the marina around 11 am. I was feeling confident because A and Js had a 50/50 mix of shiners and goldies. Tried west of L can first had some marks but fished a half hour for one perch. Idled around the east side and didn't see any fish, then went a quarter mile north and tried for a half hour with only 2 perch. Drove up to A can, spent 20 minutes looking for good marks, finally found some about mile north of A can close to where I was catching perch last week. Set there for about 45 minutes and only caught 4. Thought I might give the Toledo intake a try, and on the way noticed some boats anchored about half way to the intake closer to shore so I drove down to them and found they were on some pretty good marks. We caught the rest of our limits in about 2 and a half hours. The perch definitely bit better on the shiners than the goldies. All the fish were taken on crappy rigs, with all 3 hooks producing equally. Fish weighed 19 lbs at Shatto's

Post Thanks / Like

8/19-20
    Great to be back out fishing after an unplanned 2 week break. Went out by myself mid afternoon Wednesday, It took almost 4 hours to catch a limit, lots of undersized perch and walleye thrown back. Fished the north side of Big Pickerel, south of B can, with a crappy rig, and goldies from A and Js. Little over 8 lbs at Shatto's.
    Went to the same spot by myself Thursday afternoon and all I could catch were some white perch and sheepheads. Moved to D can and my luck improved. It took 3 and a half hours but I got my limit, lots of shorts and 4" walleye gently returned when the seagulls weren't looking. All fish caught on 3 hook crappy rigs with goldies from A and Js. 9 pounds at Shatto's. Weather looks great the next 3 days, and hope to have some buddies up this weekend.
    Last edited by 5285; 08-21-2020 at 01:17 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

7\23
    Even though the walleye fishing has been nothing short of spectacular since March I was really ready for some perch fishing. This was the 3rd try. Went to the Lighthouse Saturday and caught a few, Then G can Monday and got a few more, nothing worth mentioning. I remember last July I had a few good outings then they disappeared till October. Sure hope they hang around this year. Sorry about the double picture, I couldn't figure out how to delete it.
    Attached Images Attached Images Perch-723-jpg 
    Last edited by 5285; 07-23-2020 at 10:11 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Lots of good reports thanks

Post Thanks / Like

7/29
    This afternoon I went back to that same waypoint (north side of Big Pickerel) that I started fishing last Thursday. It was a very pleasant surprise to still be marking a nice school of perch on the bottom. The waves were 2 to 3 foot which is usually too much for the "spotlock" and requires dropping an anchor, but since I was by myself I figured I'd try the trolling motor. After deploying the ulterra I dropped the rig to the bottom and started raising it up, felt a hit set the hook and pulled up a triple. The perch were biting well and I had 12 in the cooler in 20 minutes. Then the trolling motor quit holding and I was drifting. After mentally chastising myself for not dropping the anchor to start with, I started the boat to head back to my waypoint. When I looked at the sonar there were still good marks on the bottom so I dropped the anchor and went back to fishing, in an hour I had my limit. I was using a 3 hook crappy rig with goldies from Bite Me Bait, 30 perch were 10 lbs at Shatto's
    Besides the 30 perch there were 3 sheephead, 6 white perch and 9 six and seven inch perch that were released.
    Last edited by 5285; 07-29-2020 at 11:23 PM.