Dive Curves Dive Curves Dive Curves Dive Curves
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Dive Curves

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

this is one of those cases where it sounds like ppl are thinking too much. A bandit at 100 ft back is basically about 19ft down by trolling app. To be at 20 it's 117......so your 8 extra ft for this example might make 1/2 ft in depth.

Assuming you have all the rods on one side at the same depth, you would get 's slight gain in depth as the lines slide down. Now if you notice fish are only coming on the outer 2 lines I might say go a little deeper but a half ft over 20 ft of depth is getting awful picky. I'm sure the lures gain and lose than on their own during corners or current directions. I would concentrate more on making sure you reels are calibrated so your sure that 100ft on the real it's 100ft of actual measurement is more important.

God I hope the walleye never get to point where we have to be concerned on getting a lure within 6 inches of them to trigger a bite.

What we willing never probably know is how far away do these come to get our lure. Example when fishing out in huron this fall.....all marks were 30ish ft down. But the fish we were getting were coming from 65 to 100 back. The stuff we set up with weight to get close to 30 ft never got touched. Were the fish coming up 10 to 15 ft to get our lures or weread we getting fish not showing up on my finder?????? Will never know, but if fish aren't biting even if your presenting a lure in what is generally thought to be the acceptable range to trigger a bite, don't be afraid to go off the chart and try something. Have seen fish pulled by putting a bandit at just 10ft back in the middle of the day sometimes. Try, try, try, cover the column. It can be a lot of work some days swapping stuff in and out, but if what your doing isn't working, no since in motoring around wasting gas not pulling fish unless your just wanting to be out on the water.
    Last edited by branhamautomotive; 04-05-2018 at 07:56 AM. Reason: Typo

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks I do tend to overthink things

Post Thanks / Like

You'll hear us say that occasionally.... "caught at 35' back, high on the inside"... if i see a couple of those, and i don't have any shorter leads out yet, you know i'm gonna be setting a few higher.

But, yes.... don't overthink things. The height of the tow line is a variable, you just need to seek the mid point... I love it when the little board guys tell us that we can't troll as precise as they can. But i challenge them to show me a school of walleye that will only feed at 15.7ft deep.....not 15ft, not 16.2ft, but only 15.7ft. I try to zero in on the 2 ton3 foot depth range that catches the most. Usually by the time i figure it out, we've got 36 and are heading in!
    Capt. Eric Litton
    614-679-2616
    37' Tollycraft "Pirate Clipper"
    www.eriecharter.com
    Lake Erie Fishing Charters
    Lake Erie Walleye Charters
    Lake Erie Charter Fishing