Trolling with dipseys Trolling with dipseys Trolling with dipseys Trolling with dipseys
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Trolling with dipseys

Can somebody tell me what pound test for braided line when trolling with dipseys

Post Thanks / Like

Most will use 30# or 50# PowerPro. I have some reels that has 30# but it is a dedicated dipsy rod for walleye. I also have some reels with 50# that I use for walleye and salmon trolling. If only used for eyes...30# is sufficient.
    Eriegardless Sportfishing

Offering charters for up to 6 people on a 28' Carolina Classic and 1-3 person charters on a 2021 Starcraft Fishmaster

419-702-0589

Eriegardless Sportfishing - Website
    Eriegardless Sportfishing - Facebook
    Eriegardless Custom Lures

Post Thanks / Like

#30 PowerPro. Same line on my board rods, only different rods. 7' medium light board rods, 8' to 10' medium Dispy rods...
    Capt. Eric Litton
    614-679-2616
    37' Tollycraft "Pirate Clipper"
    www.eriecharter.com
    Lake Erie Fishing Charters
    Lake Erie Walleye Charters
    Lake Erie Charter Fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Ditto on the 30# braid and my rods and reels are set up and dedicated to dipsy only.

Gene

Post Thanks / Like

Boat control.........especially when running mixed gear really comes into play. Example if only running 2 dips, you can turn as sharp as you want to almost....running 2 on side, or 3 or 4, now turning too sharp makes a mess. Certain big boards pull harder than other, and then if you have in lines they can pull even less. So knowing how much room one needs to turn, not get tangled becomes real important especially if it's a busy spot with lots of ppl in the same area.

Plus certain gear of the same runs different on every boat....what I can do as first mate on an eye hunter 30 ft sport craft, I can't do exactly the same way in my personal 19fter.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by branhamautomotive View Post
    Boat control.........especially when running mixed gear really comes into play. Example if only running 2 dips, you can turn as sharp as you want to almost....running 2 on side, or 3 or 4, now turning too sharp makes a mess. Certain big boards pull harder than other, and then if you have in lines they can pull even less. So knowing how much room one needs to turn, not get tangled becomes real important especially if it's a busy spot with lots of ppl in the same area.

Plus certain gear of the same runs different on every boat....what I can do as first mate on an eye hunter 30 ft sport craft, I can't do exactly the same way in my personal 19fter.
    So making gradual turns is important to preventing tangles with multiple dipseys.Good to know.Our captain/driver is frequently turning too fast when we troll.Inline boards stall,line falls over inside board and get stuck on flag.Tried two dipseys on same side last season for first time.Cannot say we got any tangles,but good to know that we cant turn fast.Texted pooh bear and he thought a snubber would help on the dipseys.Said a 8-10 inch size is what he uses.We did have some trouble with line twisting around the dipsey few years ago,but found out we were letting them out too fast.I also found out from pooh bear first mate that the turbulence in back of boat can twist them also.We caught a lot on dipseys last season.The most trouble we had was knowing if we had a fish on or not.There were days when those smaller eyes did not pull the release out, no matter how light I set it.It got to the point when I would reel them in if nothing happened in 15min.Unless busy with other lines.With those 2015 fish reaching 19" this spring,shouldn't have the same problems.I hope.

Post Thanks / Like

Since we're 'kinda' on the Dipsy subject, I'll throw this out there.... Instead of Dipsy on the 0 setting, I've been running the #50 Tru-Trip. The dive curve is neck-and-neck with a #1 Dipsy w/ the ring - but they are far less "speed dependent" than the Dipsy's. If you slow the boat, or when you go into a turn, they don't drop way down like the Dipsy's will. Also, no need to run a snubber like the Dipsy. Without the weight of a Dipsy, we're not seeing near the number of lost fish like we were on Dipsy without a snubber - especially on spoons. Lastly - they're cheaper! I gotta save a buck anywhere I can!
    I'll run the #50 Tru-Trip, #1 Dispy on a 1.5 setting, and a 3 setting - if I'm running 3 rods off each back corner...most days it's only 2 rods, the #50 TT and a 1.5 setting Dipsy. And, if it's spoon season, 9 times out of 10 I'll only run the larger spoons (Stinger) on these rods. Mostly Scorpion spoons on the board rods.
    Capt. Eric Litton
    614-679-2616
    www.eriecharter.com

Post Thanks / Like

Captain Eric, we have not been running a snubber with our dipsey,but have done pretty well catching.Would you recommend we add a snubber,and if so,what size?Did like your suggestion of using the TT50 instead of dipsey at 0 setting.We usually run two dipseys at a 3 setting and 4 inline boards with harnesses once water hits 50degrees and over.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by itsbob View Post
    Captain Eric, we have not been running a snubber with our dipsey,but have done pretty well catching.Would you recommend we add a snubber,and if so,what size?Did like your suggestion of using the TT50 instead of dipsey at 0 setting.We usually run two dipseys at a 3 setting and 4 inline boards with harnesses once water hits 50degrees and over.
    Wow! I took a day off, and missed a bunch here! Snubbers - I've run several different kinds, any where from 6" to about 10", haven't noticed much difference. I use them, and I think it helps, I don't lose lot of Dipsy fish. I'm not saying everyone needs to.... If you're not losing fish, stick with what you're doing! Keep in mind that some days, the people fishing on my boat have never seen a fishing pole before, so I'll use everything I can to help them get fish into the boat. If you've reeled in 1,000 Dipsy fish, you may be a little more experienced!

My release clips - Yes, Bear runs the same, Blindsided runs them, GoldenEye, I think even BudMan, etc. etc. etc..... I did not create this, I think Dan did, but not sure... nonetheless, you can do some experimenting to get the right components online, it's not rocket science! Once you've got'em figured out - you'll love 'em!

There is a comment on this thread about a 12' distance to run two Dipsy's at the same depth......The difference in lead length continually increases as the targeted depth increases... it's not a set amount all the way through the water column... but i agree with the other comment amount about staggering the depths until you find some biters. The thing I like most about running Dipsy's is there are so easy to adjust your depth. Board lines are what the are until you pop them off and bring them in. Dipsy's - just let a little more out, or bring a little in! Easy!

As far as the RINGS on Dipsy's.... I run them, and yes, super-gluing them on will keep them in place. Without that, they can be a pain in the a$$.....

Back to Dipsy fishing - anyone wanting a Dipsy and big board trolling lesson - just give me a call... You can run 4 Dipsy's a side if you want, without tangling them up....it's not too difficult.... but it does require a little technique, boat control being very important...
    Capt. Eric Litton
    614-679-2616
    www.eriecharter.com

Post Thanks / Like

If you lay an online board over its almost always going to get tangled.........and the longer they run after the worse it will get.

We always let dips out against the bait clicker. I like to get them going, put the rod in the holder on the way down, when getting close I use my thumb on the spool the lock it in at the depth I want........doing this you don't have to fight the dips pulling while trying to get the rod in the holder.

As far as something to help the lighter bit or smaller fish, only apply the drag just tight enough to keep the line from pulling out while the dips are running.....now any extra weight at all will cause the line to creep out. If you have the clicker on you will hear take a couple clicks on the strike. Doesnt work as well in rough water. This is not a full proof way to tell little fish, but it can help, sometimes all you can do is check them often.

I also don't try to trip a dip or jet that didn't release, sometimes that action can loose a fish
    Last edited by branhamautomotive; 01-18-2018 at 12:04 AM. Reason: Typo