Quote Originally Posted by branhamautomotive View Post

I also don't try to trip a dip or jet that didn't release, sometimes that action can loose a fish
Good example of different technique from one boat to the next..... I 'check' every Tru-Trip and Dipsy before bringing them in... I try to teach this to customers, but it can be tricky...you gotta get the feel for it. With the TT's.... once it's off the towline and tightened up (unless I know for sure it tripped), I'll add a little more tension, then a quick but short pop - just to check the diver... sometimes I'll feel it drop a little tension, meaning it just tripped... if you don't feel anything different, same weight, that's the fish and it had already tripped. Usually you can tell prior, and with all these small fish getting larger it probably won't be much of a concern this year. Dipsy's - same thing - little pop just to check the trigger before reeling... with a snubber, that pop won't mean lost fish. Again, unless you can see that's it's riding damn near on top, which is usually where they end up if they hook up and you didn't see it right away.

I just want to be clear - just because this is how I do it - doesn't mean anyone else is wrong! Do whatever you've been doing if it puts fish in the boat!