Trolling with dipseys Trolling with dipseys Trolling with dipseys Trolling with dipseys
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Boat control.........especially when running mixed gear really comes into play. Example if only running 2 dips, you can turn as sharp as you want to almost....running 2 on side, or 3 or 4, now turning too sharp makes a mess. Certain big boards pull harder than other, and then if you have in lines they can pull even less. So knowing how much room one needs to turn, not get tangled becomes real important especially if it's a busy spot with lots of ppl in the same area.

Plus certain gear of the same runs different on every boat....what I can do as first mate on an eye hunter 30 ft sport craft, I can't do exactly the same way in my personal 19fter.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by branhamautomotive View Post
    Boat control.........especially when running mixed gear really comes into play. Example if only running 2 dips, you can turn as sharp as you want to almost....running 2 on side, or 3 or 4, now turning too sharp makes a mess. Certain big boards pull harder than other, and then if you have in lines they can pull even less. So knowing how much room one needs to turn, not get tangled becomes real important especially if it's a busy spot with lots of ppl in the same area.

Plus certain gear of the same runs different on every boat....what I can do as first mate on an eye hunter 30 ft sport craft, I can't do exactly the same way in my personal 19fter.
    So making gradual turns is important to preventing tangles with multiple dipseys.Good to know.Our captain/driver is frequently turning too fast when we troll.Inline boards stall,line falls over inside board and get stuck on flag.Tried two dipseys on same side last season for first time.Cannot say we got any tangles,but good to know that we cant turn fast.Texted pooh bear and he thought a snubber would help on the dipseys.Said a 8-10 inch size is what he uses.We did have some trouble with line twisting around the dipsey few years ago,but found out we were letting them out too fast.I also found out from pooh bear first mate that the turbulence in back of boat can twist them also.We caught a lot on dipseys last season.The most trouble we had was knowing if we had a fish on or not.There were days when those smaller eyes did not pull the release out, no matter how light I set it.It got to the point when I would reel them in if nothing happened in 15min.Unless busy with other lines.With those 2015 fish reaching 19" this spring,shouldn't have the same problems.I hope.