Quote Originally Posted by itsbob View Post
In response to Captain Eric about marking at one depth and catching at another depth.There currently is a discussion regarding the reasoning of that statement on Ohio Game and Fish website under Lake Erie general discussions Jim Stedke midwinter thread.Without going into the detail he does, is when fish stacked near bottom,those fish are not feeding.The fish that are feeding are away from the school,often higher in water column and may not show up on sonar.Those active fish could be at depth of bait if bait showing on sonar.I know pooh bear also marks depth of each rod with dry eraser on a tag attached to each rod.I have been using masking tape to record leads on each rod.I will also mark color of spinner and number of fish caught on the rods.This will help in the first hour or two to help zone in on depth and color fish biting that day.Initially, we try and cover entire water column to see what depth fish biting.But will be sure to put line or two in depth you or pooh bear caught the day before.
My basic rule of thumb.... if there are deep fish (on the bottom), and higher fish... the higher fish are the ones to target - they are the biters.
If all you've got are bottom fish, just fish low and slow....