For me my trolling direction depends on a lot of factors. 1st being the wave condition, some day's I can troll both directions, some days only with or across. This will be effected a lot by your own person boat, and what your trolling with, larger boats and big boards can do better going into than smaller boats and in line boards.

Second is if there is a group of boats working the same area I try to go with the flow, if I can't do that I try to slide just outside and not be the boat in middle in the way. It's so rude when a group of boats are working in a pattern and one boat tries to run 90* across it. Now it's a big Lake and we all have the right to do what we need to do to get our fish, but if you can't go with the group, try to at least get on the radio and talk to ppl. There is a lot of time one boat will be working 2 or 3 fish and just can't move, getting on the radio and letting other boats in the area know what's happening most of the time they understand and will help, just give it back when they need the same.

I can see how the saha j comment could be taken both wsys. It's important to be very clear with statements on a public forum so they don't get taken the wrong way. There are a lot of great captains on a lake and most will be more than glad to help you out if you give them a little respect. If Gary has a spot he is nailing fish and doesn't want to share, how does that make him a bad person. Have you ever taken a charter with him? Have you ever shared info with him on how your trip went, where you fished, what worked what didnt. Have you ever picked the phone and called him to personal talk one on one if he has the time to do that with you? These are things that all go along way in forming personal relations.

But the best is actually to take a trip with this high quality captains, see how they are fishing, ask questions while your out. One can learn as much in couple of 8 hr trios as you can in years of doing it on your own.

I'm not saying all captains will tell you everthing, nor should they. But I've never had one not talk.