Quote Originally Posted by pimplepounder View Post
While Ohio does have a less expensive licensing system in place, I do not think that we have to increase due to reasoning that it is not up to par with other states. Some of the other states offer much longer firearms seasons For example, and have much more public land opportunities. Perhaps Ohio's lower fees help prevent the increases in costs in other states. Another big problem is recruitment of new hunters. Hunting believe it or not, is slowly dying away due to requirements of hunter safety requirements and now perhaps cost of licensing. Kid and parents just don't want to take the time from an already busy life.
Additionally, while Ohio may have lower license costs for non-residents, The costs for residents is perhaps a bit higher than neighboring states. We used to offer senior citizens free licenses. That is gone. Several neighboring states offer Lifetime licenses. I can not see Ohio doing this because they might lose some money. All and all I appreciate the efforts of the first line people in the ODNR. We need to be careful of what we ask for, we may just get it. We do not have to " Keep up with the Jones's" in Ohio.
My $.02
I think you hit on something there. If they are worried about dwindling license sales maybe they should make it easier or at least more convenient for youth to obtain a license. Like, maybe the kids could study at home or online and take a hunter safety course. I would almost guarantee that would help in recruiting our younger people. Not because they wouldn't take the time otherwise but getting a parent to take a youth to an all day class is a different story.