new to trolling new to trolling new to trolling new to trolling
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: new to trolling

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    25' down is really deep especially this time of year because the water near the surface is warmer for the most part
    so if marking at 24 ft should i have the bait about 5 feet above or so? also does it matter how far off the boat the boards are?

Post Thanks / Like

Above is always better, eyes feed up. At 50 back your only fishing 13' down,if you go by the chart. I was there in early April and was targeting fish about that same depth, ran 100' Leeds did well. Right now looks like most are catching fish in the top of the water column, alot of those fish you won't mark on your finder because of the cone angle,unless you have side imageing . In dirtier water it's not as bad if your boards are closer to the boat. In clean water I like to run them out further, boat traffic plays a role in how far you run them out also. There are always exceptions to the rule. Iast year I caught fish straight off the stern,no boards, ultra clear water,but long leeds, 125' back in late June. The water was rough though, breaks up the light penetration,etc.
    Last edited by Frank; 05-15-2017 at 12:18 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

What size jets? Line size, I would start around 1.8 mph

Post Thanks / Like

most guys use the tru trip 40 instead of buying all the various sizes. With any trolling device that needs to be tripped it is best to use braid because the stretch of mono makes it tough to trip. this weekend we ran bandits from 60-90 back in 30 fow and ran at 2.0 gps speed and done well. the water was dirty so only the chrome based bandits caught fish.

http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/trollin...rs/910250.aspx