Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New to trolling

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

You also need to make sure your reel counters are calibrated if there not that makes a difference in how far your lures are down

Post Thanks / Like

if you are going to be using jets or tru trips the lures behind those will be spoons or harnesses.You don't want to be pulling a crankbait behind either a jet or tru trip.You will not be able to find any chart on how deep your crank is running if pulled behind another planer mechanism like a jet or tru trip.An exception is you can run a crank with an extremely small bill that really doesn't dive behind a dipsy or tru trip.Majority of those charters using tru trips using big boards.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with itsbob but you can also run shollow diving cranks behind jets also

Post Thanks / Like

Another tool to use is your marine radio. Usually there are a few people willing to share what is working for them. Channel 79 has alot of traffic.
    Last edited by Old Wheezer; 05-07-2017 at 06:12 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

lucky duck,dont get discouraged with lack of success.It took us years to get competent enough to troll successfully.Find out what works for you and add to that each season to become flexible during tough bites.Buying enough crankbaits is expensive.I have worked on getting a good assortment of bandits this season based on colors I heard caught over and over.But the stock colors are $8 and custom around$12.If you deciced to fish harness,make sure leader at 6ft fluorocarbon.Put swivel on it so don't twist.Want #5 Colorado blades and some double willow antifreeze color.Make sure you can troll down to 1.5mph for early season.Can go up to 2.3mph when water warms up.Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

The delivery captain who went over things with me when I got my boat was also a charter captain. He suggested to me that for simplicity sake, that I just learn to use Reef Runners all season long. He said you can do well with these crank baits and you will not have to switch to spoons and/or spinners and add the diving planers. Thoughts on this please?

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you everyone. I have my chin up now. Going to take some crank baits with the dive charts,spinners with my Tru Trips, Amish bags, tune in to channel 79, run my Church boards and get out next week and pay my dues to see if I can use some of the info I gained from everyone to catch a few fish.

Post Thanks / Like

If the water is off colored, -dirty, early in the morning,or really overcast, i would fish higher up in the water colom 60 back would be the deepest-most line I would let out to begin with, but your finder will put you in the park.one thing you won't see most of the fish that are higher in the water column at that level because of your cone Angel of your transducer. Good luck tight lines. We all second guess ourselves don't forget to log your day do a waypoint for every walleye you catch after a few trips you can look at those and rule out allot of unproductive water .tight lines!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Lucky duck seams like the day everyone was catching was a several weeks ago by Kcan.From the reports I read and how we did there with limits on both days we fished, most were using bandits.The reefrunners do better when the water warms.They dive deeper and have a more action on their movement,but are also harder to tune.I disagree with that charter captain about only running RR.I think easiest and most productive to troll is a worm harness.As for a way to get them down,we have been using offshore tadpoles#2 for past 3 seasons with great success.Were you using inline boards on those RR or long lining your troll?Alot of info on this site,so keep reading the threads and will learn Alot.

Post Thanks / Like

I was just using the Church Walleye Boards. I getting frustrated as i getting lots of information and I buy lots of gear, but then I told to use something else by others. I went to Bass Pro, the guy said I need Luhr Jensen Jet dives, so I bought multiple colors and sizes. When I got those, another guy tells me those are not good as they are they are not accurate and I should get what I think are called Tru Trips which the charters use and are more reliable for depth. I bought four of those. I am trying to read about this sport, and I find Ross Robertson's book quite helpful too. I guess I need more time on the water to experiment myself. I just am not consistent in catching fish. Thank you all for your help.