My own post proposing mounting an iPad at the stern inspired me to do this for my boat. I use Scotty rod holders, so it made sense for me to make an adapter that would let me mount an Ipad in a Scotty base. I had a Scotty post that I scavenged from one of their triple rod holders that I no longer use, but they make an electronics mount that would serve the same purpose. I mounted a 1/4 inch aluminum plate to the Scotty post, then to the aluminum plate, I mounted a Ram Mount and Ram Tab-Tite iPad holder. I also got a Griffin Survivor case for the Ipad. The Survivor case boasts that it can withstand sandstorms and provides rain protection up to 7 inches per hour. The iPad should be safe in this case. Since this will be mounted almost directly above the transducer, I'm hoping I can use it to jig this spring and see the jig like ice fishing. The case was $65 at Walmart, the Ram Mount was $35 at Cabelas and I mail ordered the tab-tite iPad adapter for $44, so I have around $150 in the setup. Significantly less than another HDS unit.

Here is the finished mount in my basement with the iPad connected to the HDS9 Gen3 using their free app which I downloaded from the app store. The iPad screen is roughly the same size as the HDS=9 and you can control the sonar unit using the iPad. It's touch screen.
Electronics mount question-img_1658-jpg

Here it is when it's not mounted in the rod holder base and without the iPad
Electronics mount question-img_1666-jpg

Think of how useful it will be to have an iPad mounted on the boat. Here are the apps I'll run in addition to the depth finder. I think I'm going to like this setup:
Electronics mount question-img_1661-jpg

Electronics mount question-img_1662-jpg

Electronics mount question-img_1663-jpg