Do I need an auto bilge? Do I need an auto bilge? Do I need an auto bilge? Do I need an auto bilge?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the input everybody. My next question is should I just install a float switch or put it in an auto bilge?

Post Thanks / Like

Not all docks have shore power, or boats have built in chargers. Under normal conditions neither of those should be needed. A standard boat battery that is in good state should have plenty of power to run the pump. Now if you will be gone a few months might be differant. If you boat does not have 2 batteries this would be a good time to think of it. I leave 1 on and keep the other off so if my battery is dead the other will start it.

Now if your top does its job correctly, you have it good and water proofed and sealed up, your boat should not get tons of water in.

Every bildge is differant in size too. My 19ft er only holds a few gallons before it kicks on. My 27 ft er will run for 5 mins at a time when it turns on.
    Last edited by branhamautomotive; 02-15-2017 at 05:30 PM. Reason: Typos

Post Thanks / Like

With no shore power it is good to get to know a few people in your marina. I get asked quite a bit if I could go to so and so's boat to turn on all batteries and run it for 15 minutes or more to give the batteries a little boost if the owner is not going to make it up for a few weeks. I got no problem with that as long as you bring me some nice delicious Keystone Light when you do make it back up.

I agree with everybody here about the auto bilges, I do differ though on the fact that I do prefer the manual float switches over the internal auto switches. In a lot of installations you have no choice and have to use those self contained auto switches. I find I need to replace those internal switch ones a whole lot more then a basic manual bilge with a separate manual switch. Yeah you got to get in there and clean the float off ever once in a while but I find when certain undesirables get up into those auto bilges they get really messed up.

The good news is just about every decent bilge has a good warranty on it, so basically when they do go bad it is normally no money out of pocket, just the time and labor to replace it. Depending on the location of said bilge though, time and labor could be a real issue.