I own an Eskimo propane power auger and am a guide. Here's my experience and thought process why I chose Eskimo over Jiffy. Jiffy's are awesome augers and have been work horses for years. When they started marketing propane powered augers they took gasoline engines and converted them to operate on propane. I think they work just fine and know guys who have them.

However, when I researched propane augers I found at the time (going on 3 years ago) Eskimo was the first to use an engine designed for propane rather than a conversion. I'm no expert but I do remember dealing with fuel and carburetor issues years ago when we changed over some of our gasoline powered fork lifts to propane so I decided to go with the auger designed to burn LP. It has started on the second pull every time except once and that was this morning after sitting for 20 months.....it took 3 pulls. I've used it in some severe cold and exposed it to wind, snow, ice, and bouncing around in a cradle on the front of my quad through 1.5 ice seasons and after an estimated 1500-1800 holes it looks and runs like new. It is extremely fuel efficient....I have only used three 1lb tanks since I bought it.

Summary: In my opinion propane is the way to go if you drill lots of holes (guiding or drilling for your buddies) and if I were just a fun fisherman I'd seriously consider and Ion electric. Neither requires you to mix, store, and fool with gasoline. The electrics are nice but I don't want to have a day where I'm moving customers multiple times and have the battery go dead. I do know they are very powerful and hold plenty of juice on a good charge for the average guy.

Good luck!