DGF2250. My 2 buddies just left Lake Ontario after fishing this morning. We were going to be there till Sunday (I was heading up after work today). They caught 2 Steelhead. 1 skippy & 1 about 5 lbs. Lots of boats out early but by the time they got back to the launch (11:45) 1 trailer in parking lot. The East wind that's supposed to hit this weekend will shut those fish right down into the mud. Those fish are different than walleye. You get an East wind & they shut down in a heartbeat. I've heard it has something to do with the oxygen content in the water & the down currents. Not sure if that's it or not. But I've seen the shutdown happen many many times over the 20 years I've been fishing Ontario.

It's a shame because I was talking to a guy who live up there in the Olcott area & he said they were slamming the kings this summer.

And you're absolutely correct on the tackle. Not much more than what you mentioned is needed. Maybe magnum spoons & flasher/fly combos. Best investment you can make if you're going to fish salmon regulary is a down speed & temp probe.

And when a salmon hits you'll have a hard time getting the rod out of the rod holder!! No mistaking a salmon or steelhead hit.