This a great discussion. Several good points have been made.
All of us are effected by the weather. Several years ago, I read an internal study by NOAA concluding that they are correct 20% of the time. That is why I have concluded that it is our responsibility to understand all the information available to us, and factor in our own variables, i.e. our boat, our crew, our location, our style of fishing, and make adjustments accordingly. The problems NOAA has (they're getting better) are: sometimes too little real time info, and predicting too large of an area (how many times has your neighbor got rain, and you get none? Was NOAA wrong?). Also, the computer models are maturing. They are getting better as they record history, predict and record history, again and again.
When I look at the iwindsurf, click on the NOAA marine weather, and look at my own radar, I make my own conclusions and proceed cautiously. But I still schedule my trips, days, weeks, and even years ahead. When someone tells me, "let's see how the weather is", I tell them I don't have that luxury. You either schedule or not. Right, my son? Then we deal with it.
A couple pieces of advise I'd like to share:
A lawyer, who had his captain's license told me, if you read all the laws you would never be a captain.
Another old salt, after his buddy explained all the factors that affect steelhead fishing, barometric pressure, temperature, water flow, the sun and moon, water color, on and on, gave me the best advise ever; You don't catch fish unless your line is wet.
And finally to M.A.D. Eyes, maybe you will appreciate this?; After years of chartering all over the Great Lakes and Gulf of Mexico, my wife made me promise when we bought our last boat that I would not charter. She says I need to take out family and friends, and enjoy the experience myself.
So, gather all the info available, assess your circumstances, and get out on the water. Enjoy it, and share the experiences with others. Don't get hung up on how they got it right, or wrong, it will drive you crazy. Remember you are primarily relying on the government. Be safe, and have fun.