Dialed in. Dialed in. Dialed in. Dialed in.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Dialed in.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the advice. Everything i know about lake erie walleye fishing is from people on this site. Its taken me 3 years, hundreds of questions and hours reading posts, and countless solo trips practicing and perfecting techniques. I normally fish by myself or with friends who have no idea what a planer board or reef runner is lol so the knowledge shared on this site is invaluable. Ive even referred a few buddies to this site for a crash course before we go out so they at least have an idea of what's going on. Thanks again for all the help and advice!

Post Thanks / Like

If interested I would be happy to ride along and share my techniques for solo board removal on a day you can't find anyone to go. Sometimes I think solo is easier than having newbies out there with you.

Post Thanks / Like

General rule of thumb - keep steady tension on the line at all times when you have a fish on.

This includes both giving the fish slack, or pulling too hard. Its easy enough to have fish get off the hook when you execute perfectly, so there's no need to help them out by jerking the line or giving them slack.

Its my opinion, but if I have a fish on a dipsy or jet - just reel it in, even if you think you're fighting the diver too. I have seen too many times where a customer tries to "trip" a diver when they have a fish on, and lose the fish because of the jerk.

Likewise, when spanking a line loose from a tow line on big boards, or unclipping an inline board, you have to be sure not to drop that rod tip and give the fish slack line.

From now on, assuming you remember your net .. pay attention to how often fish can come unhooked in the net.

STEADY TENSION. No pumping and reeling like a bass fisherman either!!!!