Pictures of different worm harnesses Pictures of different worm harnesses Pictures of different worm harnesses Pictures of different worm harnesses
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hot blade color? You are pretty lucky if one blade is "hot" for 2 weeks, usually less than that. Color trends would be more in line. Purple, pink, chartreuse etc early season with copper backs. As summer warm waters, silver backs with watermelon colors on the face, and trout colors and green shades. This is just my findings over time. But, as weather storms/wind change the lake water color and move the fish regularly. You can almost count on the "hot" color of yesterday to be different. This is just the one box I allow myself to carry on the boat.

As far as using treble hooks as the rear hook of a harness, for me those just make it harder to take off the bait stealers and get tangled in the net. A few times/days over the years, it helped. But when/if there is a day I think I need them, I just add a sliding loop stinger hook on the back.

I prefer to use drop shot hooks #1 and #2. I find them to be stronger, hook up the fish better, have a larger bend in the hook, do not get dull as fast as the snell hooks sold and the eyelets are slightly larger making it easier to rig. As you can see from my assortment in the first pic, most of those hooks are the ones I don't like to use any more. I have to hunt for the drop shot hooks. If you look, you can see the difference in these spoon harnesses I make. The colored hooks are typical high end snell hooks, the black ones are the drop shot hooks. This is my findings.

On a side note: The Domak bead pkgs in the top photo. I won't be purchasing those any more. Both pkgs of beads, there is flashing left on most of the beads at one of the hole ends making them useless unless you want to clean each one up. I don't know if that is how all of there beads are, but both pkgs I purchased have the same problem.
    Last edited by ebijack; 05-16-2016 at 04:27 AM.
    I can only hope I have earned the freedom that has been given me.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you. I will try Dream catchers next weekend. Sounds like building my own will be my entertainment next winter.

Post Thanks / Like

I make mine exactly like Wakina does. Only takes about 5 or 10 min. per rig. You can get all the stuff you need, as well as some good advice, from Janns Netcraft. They sell the wire, wire benders, beads, clevises, hooks, you name it. I don't know how far you are from their store, but it might be worth your while to pay them a visit. If you go the wire route, they sell pre-cut wire sections with an eye already twisted in one end, saves time. If you buy the wire former/twister it comes with easy to follow directions on how to make, not only harnesses, but perch rigs, spreaders, and the like.

Disclaimer: I have no affiliation, feduciary or otherwise, with Janns Netcraft

HYPO

Post Thanks / Like

I use a size 2 single the number 4 treble for the last hook on some of my snells. I also use them and with 2 single hooks both size 2. I can't see a difference between the two. They are equally effective.
    Last edited by wakina; 05-15-2016 at 08:34 PM.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Post Thanks / Like

Is there any harm in using a small treble hook on the end instead of 2 single hooks. Also are most ppl using only 1 spinner or 2. It might have been said. But what hook size. 2s, 4s. One of each

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies.
    Sorry jack as i was not specific. I honestly wasnt even sure how to ask the question correctly so people would understand what i wanted. I will check out the link later when the kids are asleep.

Wakina, those look great! I most likely will mimic your style if i ever make my own.

I'm sure the link jack posted covers all my questions but just in case it doesnt....
    Short leaders for casting? Long leaders for trolling? How long would you recommend for each type of fishing? Drifting, casting, trolling etc. And when you say 60" leader, you are tying your harness to 60" of "something" and the rod end is attached to another swivel?

Cant use pool noodles as they are all currently in the bottom of my boat to replace the waterlogged foam. Little boat (16 ft bass boat) getting some much needed TLC

Post Thanks / Like

Great questions! Don't hesitate to ask anything.

Typically when talking about worm harnesses and 60" leaders, they are referring to a 60" mono line with swivels on each end.

Personally I use braided line with a swivel on the end, then snap on a True Trip Diver, then a 60" Mono Leader, then a worm harness or spoon... etc...

The leader is that long for several reasons, but mainly to give distance between my diver and my lure. Sometimes we put weights in line, then the leader... Depends on the lure and the fish.They also give some "shock" absorption when running braided line. Although 60" doesn't tend to lead to a lot of shock absorption...

-Matt

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by endangeredspecies View Post
    Short leaders for casting? Long leaders for trolling? How long would you recommend for each type of fishing? Drifting, casting, trolling etc. And when you say 60" leader, you are tying your harness to 60" of "something" and the rod end is attached to another swivel?
    For me, trolling, I've tried quite a few ways of making harnesses, I ended up going back to using #17 mono, around 5ft long, 2 hooks. Some with hook spacing at 1" when using on bottom bouncers run at/near bottom. Cut the worm into thirds so only about 1/2" of the crawler hangs past the back hook. This helps with the bait stealers but still catches walleye. My other ones are around a 3" spacing between the hooks. Both of these can be used trolling or drifting.
    How many beads? depends on the size of the beads and mostly the size of the blade you are going to use.
    For casting, I use what is referred to "the weapon". I shorten my harnesses to around 16". Place a small bead into the new loop you are going to tye when shortening the harness. Push the new loop thru an egg sinker ( 1/2 to 3/4 depending) The bead stops the egg sinker from sliding down the harness.

I use pool noodles to wind up and store my harnesses on. Not for flotation.
    As far as Jann's, I stopped buying there many years ago due to some shipping practices they use.
    Last edited by ebijack; 05-15-2016 at 05:57 AM.
    I can only hope I have earned the freedom that has been given me.

Post Thanks / Like

ive been running these on my harnesses for the last 2 season without any problems. I tried Janns style and lost blades every trip. I ran into a guy from Wisconsin at cabelas and he was buying a bunch for a walleye tourney he was fishing on Erie and he recommended them.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/E-Z-C...ge%26CQ_st%3Db

Post Thanks / Like

Since the subject is on harnesses are there any special -hot color blades I should have in my arsenal? .all replies will be gracefully excepted! Also where they might be purchased THANKS UP FRONT!
    Last edited by Frank; 05-15-2016 at 11:59 AM. Reason: Forgot to finish what I started ,older age I guess lol!