I agree, we do need the local bait stores. If you've ever tried to shop at Cabelas for walleye related tackle, you'll quickly realize the selection is limited. I was planning a trip for Sunday and wanted to get some Bandits on Saturday evening. Since Cabelas is near me, I went there to pick up a few. I left empty handed because they didn't have any 5/8 oz Bandits. A quick stop at a local shop let me choose from a wide variety of colors and I was all set.

I do disagree about getting fishing information from these stores though. At least the store I go to. I still remember my first trip on Lake Erie in my own boat. I stopped at the bait store, purchased about $120 in gear and asked for advice on where to start. The response I got was "out on the lake". At first, I thought he was joking, but he wasn't. I pressed for ANY information I could get and all he would tell me is you've got to go out and find the fish with your fish finder and when you find them, fish there. My kids think it's hilarious. We still visit that bait store before most of our trips and just for fun, I usually ask for general areas to fish and even though I go there 10-15 times per year and spend $40 - $150 per visit, he remains tight lipped.