Lots of ways to do it. Mine I prefer the front clip to release. I use these, they work very well with braided line, adjust as required http://www.franksgreatoutdoors.com/f...ip-436675.html
Even kids can put them on/take off rod lines. If you have hand problems they are the easiest to use. To get to release when a fish hits or you want to release the clip, you will have to back the adjustment screw way out. You can grab your rod infront of the reel, smack the handle and the line will pop right out. With the front clip releasing, the board will fall out of formation and head towards the rear of the boat. When ready, reset the line and board, with thumb on reel, slowly let out the rear of your boat so your bait is not dragging on bottom but actually working/diving as it should. Engage the reel when the board reaches the approximate point/distance back when you had a fish take it back. The board will swing right back into the original location. Adjust as required to get the spacing you need.
If you prefer to have both releases stay attached to the line. Lift rod tip high and slowly walk to the rear of the boat. The board will fall from formation, turn the boat a bit to aid in getting that board more towards the rear of the boat. Reset as stated above.
Spacing between boards will change with conditions. Since your learning, I'd suggest going for around a visual boat with. As you learn, you can run them much tighter together. I have/can run 5 offshores per side without a problem and a down rod ( bouncer rod, no board).
Like mentioned, deepest baits, closest to the boat.
When releasing clips from the line with fish on, as long as you have control of the line with one hand, using the other to release clips. You want to keep a tight line to the fish, never let the line go slack or snap as that will allow the fish to let go/get off. Once the board is removed, put tension on the line using the rod ( slight bend in the rod) then let go of the line. The person who is holding the rod now has control of the fish. If your doing all this by yourself, set the rob butt down towards the front of the boat, grab the line with one hand and hold, release board. While still holding the line ( the rod can be rested against a seat/what ever, depends on length of rod) Pick up the rod, put a slight bend in the rod keeping the rod tip high for now, release line and reel down as required. Easier than it sounds.
If a fish pulls a board back, get to that rod ASAP and take control. Typically rod tip high.
You might think about setting up your boards with homemade tattle flags as they will help you learn to read inline boards.
Hope that helps.
When it get rough out on the water, using constant diving aids, jets, mini disks help to keep more of a constant depth than using bouncers, inline weights etc.
Also if you fish in rough water I have another method that helps, but confuses most till they use it in action and see the benefits.