Best trolling lures Best trolling lures Best trolling lures Best trolling lures
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Best trolling lures

Couple questions for you veterans.

1. What are a few good trolling lures to use for early July and fall walleyes? also, what are preferred rigging methods.

2. Does anyone have any experience with the trolling plates that drop down behind the prop to slow the speed down on the outboard. I have a 40 horse Merc and can't afford a kicker for a couple years. Looking at buying one of these, but was hoping to hear from someone that has used one or heard more about them.

Thanks guys!

Whos_Yer Daddy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by peleebound View Post
    Couple questions for you veterans.

1. What are a few good trolling lures to use for early July and fall walleyes? also, what are preferred rigging methods.

2. Does anyone have any experience with the trolling plates that drop down behind the prop to slow the speed down on the outboard. I have a 40 horse Merc and can't afford a kicker for a couple years. Looking at buying one of these, but was hoping to hear from someone that has used one or heard more about them.

Thanks guys!
    Pelee...my favorite trolling lures have to be Hot-N-Tots and Reef Runners. I've been ysing them for years ( any years )Good alround trolling baits. Run them about 150' back. You'll catch walleye all summer with them. Chrome and blue and chrome and black are my favs.

As for the trolling plate( happy troller ) We run a 70hp and considered getting 1 to slow us down a little but believe it or not...... 2-5gal buckets pulled about 8 ft behind the boat ( in the prop wash ) work just as good. They slowed us down from 3 mph to 1.2 mph...and they are a whole lot cheaper...lol

Good luck !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks

Hey...I really appreciate the advice. Do the buckets interfere with the fishing at all?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Another annoying question

Should I drill a few holes in the bottom of the bucket or leave it whole. Does this add any unnecessary harm to the motor?

Thanks

Whos_Yer Daddy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by peleebound View Post
    Should I drill a few holes in the bottom of the bucket or leave it whole. Does this add any unnecessary harm to the motor?

Thanks
    no...they dont do any harm to the motor. i'm been doing it for years....i dont have any holes in the bottom....but drill 2 ( 1 on each side near the top to hook a rope onto it like a handle...dont use the real handle on it . it will break real quick...lol...

hope this helpls....and good luck

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks a bunch! I will definitely give it a try. Just ordered some reef runners to!

Post Thanks / Like

Jointed shad rap #5 and #7 silver shad and blue shad colors and down deep husky jerks also blue or copper. No need to drill holes in the buckets. A bucket over each side should knock off .6mph or so.